Let's Go Fly A Kite


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Exmouth
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had a tough 6 hour drive down to Devon in terrible weather. It was our first real experience of traffic jams on British motorways since we got back. Very unpleasant!!

Our week in the village of Thorverton, near Exeter, Devon, was both relaxing and hectic. With new nephew William to welcome into the family plus Jack (4), Bryony (5) and Kaitlyn (7) to keep us occupied, we were pleased to be house-sitting for a friend of the family. The peace and quiet saved our sanity!!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t get me wrong, it was great to see them but it made us realise what a good decision it was not have kids of our own!!!!!

The weather wasn’t great a lot of the time but we still managed to get out and about. We had a wonderful afternoon in Exeter meeting up with Kat, a friend who Russ used to house-share with in Bolivia back in 2004. We also stretched our legs in the countryside around the village, albeit once was just a 30 minute stroll to the pub! Walking alongside the canal in Tiverton was nice, and the kids loved the ice creams.

The family went en-masse to Exmouth where a kite festival was in full swing. The variety of kites was impressive including one extraordinary scuba diver floating in the sky. The highlight was undoubtedly the formation kites performing a graceful ballet in the air. We never thought we could be so impressed by kites.

Fish and chips followed as well as some time on the beach with nephews and nieces, all keen to get very wet and very sandy. We did venture in up to our ankles but you can tell from our reaction just how cold we thought the water was!!!

So, now we travel on to Wales to see if our house is still standing!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Ice CreamIce Cream
Ice Cream

Bryony, Kaitlyn and Jack getting stuck in!
CousinsCousins
Cousins

Jack, Bryony, William and Kaitly
KitesKites
Kites

See the scuba driver bottom middle.
Artistic KiteArtistic Kite
Artistic Kite

This one is actually painting onto a canvas. Impressive control!
Holy Cow!Holy Cow!
Holy Cow!

Disappointing though that they weren't flying pigs!!!!!


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb