Our wheels!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Exeter
December 20th 2008
Published: December 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After umming and arrring for a few weeks, and plenty of pros and cons lists later, Dav and I decided to buy a car so that we get the most out of our time here. This was particularly the case in Exeter as to get anywhere on a weekend on public transport is just a nightmare - for example, we were looking at heading up to Dartmoor to have a look around, a 30minute drive by car, and it was going to take us FOUR HOURS on the bus!! So, unless we were going to take a week off at a time, a car seemed to be the sensible way to go.

We talked about it in passing with Des (landlord), and asked him bits and pieces of advice as we tried to figure out what exactly we were after. Our ideal list included that it had to be a van or a station wagon (or 'estate' as they call them here... i found out the hard way as i got many a blank stare when i described it as station wagon..) so that we could fit our backpacks, a tent perhaps, and most importantly, throw a mattress down in the back. Ideally, we also prefered a manual and a diesel, just to maximise fuel efficiency as we plan to do many miles and given out love of money, hate to part with any more than absolutely necessary!

Des was great, looking in the papers for us, etc. And then he also happened to notice that the lady nextdoor had put for-sale signs up in her car - a Ford Escort station wagon. So he went over and asked some details to see if it would be something that might interest us, the price, etc.

So that night, korfball training was given the flick, as I headed home to meet Dav and take the car for a test ride. It was absolutely fantastic! Not only is it a station wagon, but it is also a manual and a diesel. The nextdoor neighbour kept going on about how old it was but, at 1998, it is the second youngest car we've had! It's done a few miles and has a few character marks here and there, but at £150 it is such a great deal and exactly what we are after.

And so the road tripping begins.... (and hence more blogs you'll be happy to hear!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb