Big Chill at Coleton Fishacre


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Dartmouth
November 28th 2009
Published: November 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Coleton FishacreColeton FishacreColeton Fishacre

A cold and wet exit from the main entrance to this wonderful house. A pity that the National Trust failed to create the atmosphere needed for an enjoyable ''jazz afternoon''
Coleton Fishacre is a National Trust treasure tucked away in the back and beyond of South Devon. In the Spring and Summer the gardens are magical with viewpoints of the sea spread out amongst the mature shrubs and trees imported from all over the world. The house is in complete harmony with the gardens and was the holiday home of Rupert D'Oyly Carte and his family in the 1920s. The Arts & Crafts-style house has an Art Deco-influenced interior and to me the main attraction is the Salon. Standing in this Art Deco influenced room one is taken back to that moment in time when the D'Oyly Cartes probably entertained their friends and family with the grand piano in the corner playing its part.
When we heard that the National Trust was organising an afternoon of jazz in the Salon on a Saturday afternoon in November Lynne and I jumped at the opportunity and tickets were purchased. We were looking forward to an afternoon of nostalgia and the possible re-creation of a 1920s atmosphere in this special room.
The music was provided by a 6 piece jazz band from Torbay known as High Society. The leader of the band was the
High SocietyHigh SocietyHigh Society

Pictures the band sent to me. For some strange reason the NT official refused me permission to take a picture of the band in the Salon
trumpeter, David Harding and they gave an entertaining set of traditional jazz with quite a few numbers from old Broadway shows and of course a Gilbert and Sullivan number. A band as entertaining as this deserved better.
The National Trust do a marvellous job preserving our heritage but when it comes to trying to re-create our heritage it failed sadly here. The atmosphere was killed dead by the failure by the NT to give any thought to the presentation of the Salon. It covered the floor with an industrial floor protector displaying its manufacturer in bold letters. The lighting was equivalent to a few 40 watt light bulbs and to cap it all the room was freezing. The impressive Art Deco fireplace was crying out to be lit but instead we had to make do with a 2KW electric fan heater stuck at the back of the room. Then to cap it all there was no more than 20 people in attendance. There surely can be nothing more dispiriting for a band than playing to a half filled room which is cold, badly lit and covered with industrial floor covering.
Then just to cap it all I took my camera along to take a picture of the band for the blog. I was refused permission by one of the NT officials. When asked for the reason I was told it would be against the rules!!! Fortunately the band was more than happy to send me some pictures by email for the blog.
Come on National Trust you can do better than that !!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb