Peak District Explorations


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Dear All Greetings from England! I have decided, after much contemplation, to continue to write my travel blogs this summer, and to try to travel as best as I can. Having read a number of encouraging and inspiring blogs on here from my fellow travel bloggers doing the same (thank you guys!), I shall be writing about the more local travel plans I have made for this summer 2020, during these oh-so-... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

View from High TorView from High Tor
View from High Tor

Matlock Bath
View from High Tor, Matlock BathView from High Tor, Matlock Bath
View from High Tor, Matlock Bath

One hundred metres straight down
View from High Tor, Matlock BathView from High Tor, Matlock Bath
View from High Tor, Matlock Bath

My walking route earlier in the day through the forest on the other side, from the right of the photo to the left
Bamford VillageBamford Village
Bamford Village

On the way up to Bamford Edge
Bamford EdgeBamford Edge
Bamford Edge

At the top
MeMe
Me

Bamford Edge
MeMe
Me

Bamford Edge
MeMe
Me

Bamford Edge, overlooking the Derwent Reservoir
Bamford EdgeBamford Edge
Bamford Edge

Overlooking the Derwent Reservoir
On the way to the Hordron Edge Stone Circle, BamfordOn the way to the Hordron Edge Stone Circle, Bamford
On the way to the Hordron Edge Stone Circle, Bamford

The stone circle is at the top of the escarpment in the top-right of the photo, overlooking the Snake Pass (A57) below



7th August 2020

Peak District Explorations
Alex, so glad to see you're latest blog! You certainly covered expansive areas on your walks! When possible I like to visit filming locations of movies I particularly like and I saw that you mentioned Haddon Hall as being a filming location for, among other films, "Pride and Prejudice" and wondered if you meant for the latest version of that movie. (My favorite is the 1995 Colin Firth version.) Then you mentioned Bamford, which at first I confused with Bampton (the later being used as one of the filming locations for "Downton Abbey). In any case, enjoyed following along on your rambles and explorations! Lovely photos too.
7th August 2020

Peak District
Thank you so much for reading my blog Sylvia, and for your lovely comment. It's wonderful to be writing again, even if travel is a bit different this year. Haddon Hall is actually featured in the 2005 film version of "Pride and Prejudice", not the Colin Firth series I'm afraid. I believe Bampton is in Oxfordshire, Bamford was lovely too though ? I also love visiting film locations, it is often films which give me inspiration to travel to a place ?
7th August 2020

Peak District Explorations
Alex, so glad to see you're latest blog! You certainly covered expansive areas on your walks! When possible I like to visit filming locations of movies I particularly like and I saw that you mentioned Haddon Hall as being a filming location for, among other films, "Pride and Prejudice" and wondered if you meant for the latest version of that movie. (My favorite is the 1995 Colin Firth version.) Then you mentioned Bamford, which at first I confused with Bampton (the later being used as one of the filming locations for "Downton Abbey). In any case, enjoyed following along on your rambles and explorations! Lovely photos too.
7th August 2020

Peak District
Thank you so much for reading my blog Sylvia, and for your lovely comment. It's wonderful to be writing again, even if travel is a bit different this year. Haddon Hall is actually featured in the 2005 film version of "Pride and Prejudice", not the Colin Firth series I'm afraid. I believe Bampton is in Oxfordshire, Bamford was lovely too though ? I also love visiting film locations, it is often films which give me inspiration to travel to a place ?
7th August 2020
Me

I Stood on this Same Spot 20+ years ago
Hi Alex. I lived in Manchester from 1995 to 1998, and I made many day trips to the Peak District. I much preferred the Dark Peak area (I had a car so it was easier for me to explore that area). My favorite spot was Kinder Scout and I spent many happy days exploring the rock formations on the plateau. I also went to the Derwent and Ladybower Reservoirs whenever I wanted a less strenuous hike. Thanks for helping me relive some of my memories of a very happy period of my life!
7th August 2020
Me

Small World
Aw, how lovely, thanks for your comment Siewch. And what a small world we live in! Wonderful to read about what the Peak District meant for you during your time in Manchester. I've yet to visit Kinder Scout and much of the Dark Peak, I hope to somehow explore this part of the Peaks more at some point. Great idea to walk around the reservoirs for the less strenuous hikes. I hope you're keeping well at this time.
12th August 2020

There it is .....just in your backyard!
Dave here....I don't weigh in often enough, but glad to see that you're out there and exploring. MJ and I have been making the best of Memphis, Tennessee and have found many hidden gems.. There is so much more in your own backyard, so good for you that you're taking advantage of these times. Cheers!
12th August 2020

Backyard Explorations
Hey Dave! Thanks for this! There is indeed so much to see in one's own backyard. I'm glad to see also that you are both seeing the local sights and places in Memphis and around ? Thanks for reading my blog and for checking in ?
14th August 2020

Peak District
Thank you Alex for this great blog, you've inspired me to visit the Peak District someday. I equally enjoy my adventures in the UK as to going abroad. We're lucky to live on a beautiful large island :)
14th August 2020

Peak District
Hey Alan! Good to hear from you ? Thank you for your kind comment, and for reading my blog. Good to hear you are also enjoying travels at home as much as abroad. We do indeed live on a beautiful island. I look forward to reading about your travels in Dorset, hopefully after I'm back from my travels after the end of August. Take care ?
14th August 2020

Peak District Explorations
Very informative blog Alex! Looks like a beautiful area. Since we all have had to cancel our international travels, it's nice to explore areas closer to home.
14th August 2020

Peak District
Thank you Lori, and thank you for reading ? Indeed, local areas are certainly a good option to explore at the moment. I see from FB you've also been able to explore some lovely BC areas too ?
15th August 2020

Summer Explorations
Trying and testing months.... indeed. I'm thrilled you are out exploring! It is good for the soul. Lots of great hiking nearby and the memories of childhood have been revived. There is nothing better than that. I'm glad to hear about a lesser known part of your country. Thanks for taking us along. MJ
15th August 2020

Summer Explorations
Thanks MJ, how lovely ? Thank you for joining me on my travels. And also for taking me around on yours ? The Peak District is a special place for me, it was an honour to write about it as a travel blog entry ?
25th August 2023

A less well-known area of the UK
Thank you for sharing your experiences in the area where you grew up. I did not know much about this region of the UK; now I hope I will be able to visit the area one day. By the way, I am also learning Chinese on Duolingo (and most likely would have hesitated speaking to Chinese people in their language just like you did). AND I used to play "squash" with one of my friends on bumpy and winding roads in pre-seatbelt times as well. It was always a lot of fun!
26th August 2023

Peak District
I highly recommend a visit to the Peak District to hikers who'd like to go off-the-beaten international tourist track in the UK. I love that you also played "squash" in the backseat too - those were the days! 😁 Thank you for understanding my hesitancy to speak Chinese, even though we both already know a bit! And thank you also for reading and commenting 😊

Tot: 0.477s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 47; qc: 131; dbt: 0.4046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb