Hooray - we've arrived in Edale, Derbyshire! Our adventure will begin tomorrow....


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire » Edale
April 26th 2008
Published: April 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 26 April - The alarm went off at 7am and we could hardly believe that the day had arrived for us to leave home on our 'big' adventure. Before setting off for Derbyshire we popped into Bromley to buy a few last minute items and Lav proudly wore her 'Hiking 429km 'Long Way Up' t-shirt. Within 10 minutes of being in Bromley, we were approached and a man said to Lavinia, "Weren't you in the paper recently?" We then had the opportunity to explain that we had appeared in the Bromley Extra and spoke about our fundraising hike which was excellent. Some other people stopped and stared as we went past, so perhaps they had read the Bromley Extra too...

We arrived in Edale to our lovely B&B called Edale House - a country house with lots of charm. The owner of the B&B Edward De La Billiere (also run by his wife) is the co-author of one of the main Pennine Way guides and so it was a pleasure to meet him in person and fantastic that he signed our Pennine Way book personally with a good luck message. Their young sons were absolutely delightful - one of them came up to Steve following our arrival and said, "you are walking to Scotland and it is going to take you three weeks"...and continued, "three weeks, that is lots and lots and lots of weeks!" Bless him, he was so charming.

From our bedroom window we had views of the wonderful rolling hills above the Edale Valley - very picturesque. For dinner we were advised that 'The Old Nag's Head' was a good place for food. So we headed down there and found that not only was it the official start of the Pennine Way (and has been since 1965), but it was also extremely cosy and the food very tasty! After a satisfying meal we headed back to our B&B to get some rest and dream about the marathon journey ahead of us...

If you would like to donate towards our fundraising effort, please go to www.ectopic.org.uk/fundraising/?p=46. Thank you very much for your support in helping us to raise money for the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust. Lavinia and Steve


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lav relaxing in our room at Edale House, DerbyshireLav relaxing in our room at Edale House, Derbyshire
Lav relaxing in our room at Edale House, Derbyshire

Lav proudly wearing her 'Hiking 429km the Long Way Up for the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust' t-shirt.


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb