Hiking in the Lake District


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
May 4th 2014
Published: September 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Amy's first Wainwright!Amy's first Wainwright!Amy's first Wainwright!

Nab Scar, on the Fairfield Horseshoe hike
Amy's Mum and Dad have enjoyed trips to the English Lake District for many years, so it was no surprise that Amy would get initiated into the tradition sooner rather than later!

We based ourselves in the lovely town of Ambleside, our favourite Lakes town. We stayed at the Rothay Manor hotel, which is well set up for families, with cots and highchairs available in bedrooms. They even have a baby monitoring system set up for every room so we were able to have dinner in the restaurant downstairs whilst Amy slept in the room - perfect as we had recently lost our baby monitor somewhere between Gatwick airport and Cyprus!

In Ambleside we discovered a fantastic restaurant called 'Lucy's on a Plate', which does amazing food and provides a nice change from the usual fish and chips in the pub. Not that we didn't visit a pub or two of course... well, it is a lakeland tradition to have a post-hike ale overlooking a lake. It's also a lakeland tradition (for us at least) to have a good look around all the outdoor shops in Ambleside and we spent a fair amount of this trip doing just that while it rained. Amy's Mum also had a chance to do some indoor rock climbing for a few hours whilst Amy and Daddy went for coffee.

Of course, the main reason to visit the Lake District is to go walking and we managed a few hikes, between the rain showers. This was our first real test of our baby backpack carrier (the Osprey Poco Plus) and we were very impressed. Amy got a bit chilly on the hikes but that was our fault rather than the backpack. The big hike we tackled was the Fairfield Horseshoe, which saw Amy reach her first 4 Wainwright summits (only 210 to go to do them all).

We very much enjoyed our weekend in the Lake District with Amy and no doubt will be back in the future for more adventures. Next time we might just go wild camping...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb