A Day on High Street


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
August 28th 2012
Published: September 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday wasn't good. The forecast turned out to be very accurate and the rains just continued. The day was literally a washout and spent on Keswick high street - ironically taking in the outdoor clothing shops in an effort to buy further wet weather gear! Having bought all that was necessary, it was off to the little coffee shop in Grange for a well-deserved strawberry cream tea!

Today was a little better ... and a day spent on the High Street, i.e., the highest Roman Road in England.

It was also where six Wainwright's would be climbed.

Parking in Martindale, the first little issue was not getting lost on the climb up towards Steel Knotts. The little wooden Footpath sign clearly pointed along the stone wall and many others had clearly passed ahead, but sadly, the footpath persisted in staying at the bottom of the hill. There was no choice but to push up through the bracken trying to follow what was hopefully the path taken by others. Unfortunately, others probably meant sheep and four legs was certainly better than two in maintaining a steady footing on ground that couldn't be seen below the bracken!

Finally though, the footpath (my collecting feature) eventually appeared beneath my feet, which was a good thing as it was totally invisible during the ascent. It was now possible to continue the ascent to Steel Knotts. Shortly thereafter, the first Wainwright of the day was achieved.

Continuing, the path then took me across sunny (but wet) grassland, down to a ruined building and then steeply up Keasgill Gap to the Roman Road - High Street. 5 miles after setting off and 2200' feet of climbing, High Raise became my second achievement of the day.

Being on the summit, the remaining Wainwright's came thick and fast - firstly, Wether Hill, then Loadpot Hill, Arthur's Pike and finally Bonscale Pike.

6 Wainwrights, 16 miles and 3544' of ascent later, it was really nice to open the door, sit in my favourite leather chair, put on some music ... start the engine and drive back to the hotel!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The NabThe Nab
The Nab

This is the home of England's oldest native herd of Red Deer.
2.02: High Raise2.02: High Raise
2.02: High Raise

This summit is so different from its neighbours as this is covered in rocks; the others are grassy.
2.28: Arthur's Pike2.28: Arthur's Pike
2.28: Arthur's Pike

The cairn in the background marks a viewpoint


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb