A Walk Around the Rocks


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
June 18th 2012
Published: July 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a 20 minute drive over the Honister Pass, I set off from the Rosthwaite car park, heading west to a walled track which ultimately led to a footbridge over the Derwent.

Whilst the river was not high, the ground was a little waterlogged and the midges and mosquitoes were having a field day.

Following the river, I arrived in High Hows Wood and the site of a disused quarry. The cave just off the path was once someone's home although that individual would have to have been very hardy to stand the weather of late.

Continuing along the path, I came out at Gowder Dub, where Broadslack Gill meets the Derwent. This beautiful open stretch of water provided a welcome coffee stop, ducks playing in the rough water.

Coffee over, I took the footpath towards Honister, which climbed beneath Castle Crag and along to Tongue Gill. Lunch stop, looking down on the sun-lit Derwent Water.

Sandwiches gone and further walking was required, over the gill and down into Seatoller. Sadly, the Yew Tree café was closed but, along the footpath to Rosthwaite was the Youth Hostel with its cheap coffee and cake - enjoyed in the open air in what would be the last dry day for a while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb