The coast


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Keswick
September 23rd 2016
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.5995, -3.13256

We got and headed out to the west coast of England. It is a beautiful morning, the sun is shining and it is fairly warm. We drove to Workington, but it was an industrial town, so we headed south toward Whitehaven. We found a place by the water and took a few photos. We decided to go to St. Bees Head, which was a few miles down the road. We parked the car and went into a tea shop and bought sandwiches, crisps and water. We then hiked to the top of St. Bees Head and had a little picnic lunch. It was a bit windy, but the sun was out and it was lovely. After our big hike, we drove to Cockermouth to visit that little village. William Wordsworth was born here. He was a great British poet. We then took a leisurely drive back to our hotel. We walked to town for dinner and headed back to our hotel for a little relaxing time and bed. this morning we walked to a park and visited the Keswick museum. A large part is devoted to A.W. Wainswright, who is basically the John Muir of the lake district.
A Roman arch at a graveyardA Roman arch at a graveyardA Roman arch at a graveyard

Built around 76 AD.
He hiked all through the lake district and wrote a bunch of books on the trails around the lakes and up the fells. We then walked into Keswick and stopped at The Pasty Shoppe. I got a pasty filled with Haggis and Stacy got one with Steak and Ale. Delicious!! If you don't know what haggis is, Google it. Stacy didn't want to sit near me as I ate it! We then walked down by the lake for a while and then headed back to our room. We finally had a delicious dinner at The Pheasant Pub near our hotel and settled in for the night. Tomorrow, we head to Penrith and spend 2 nights in York.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



24th September 2016

Wow, this looks like a fairly modern town compared to the other photos I've seen. Not so different.
24th September 2016

That's neat...gates to the city? Or...
24th September 2016

How beautiful!
24th September 2016

Hi Bob. We can only post comments on the pictures. We cannot post a comment at the end of the blog entry or story. It has not been working for several days. I thought they were all going through till I checked today.
24th September 2016

Michele I am having the same problem. I keep trying to fix it but no luck. So I'm posting on each picture instead
24th September 2016

Love this picture! Where's Stacy?...

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb