The Hudsons are here


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Grasmere
September 29th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rydal Water from Coffin RoadRydal Water from Coffin RoadRydal Water from Coffin Road

This pic was taken back in 2006 but shows how pretty the walk is along the old Coffin Route to Grasmere from Ambleside. They had to use it before the church in Ambleside was consecrated - all funerals took place in Grasmere.
As I prepare today's report (in arrears somewhat!) I find that Monday 30th September was a day starved of photographic effort. Just one genuine pic from the pub in Grasmere is all but I added some others for colour and illustration.

We say goodbye to Chris, who is heading back to Manchester to pack up his flat in preparation for the departure to Bangkok in a week. We don't see much of him so it was wonderful to have him stay in Rydal. Next, we are off into town heading for Gaynor Sports. I think it a miracle to emerge from this fell walkers' paradise emporium with any credit limit left over. Anna wants a new jacket for all weathers and fishing too, waterproof trousers are needed by both (as proves to be true...).

Shopping done and with a rather dull weather prospect, we dump the car back at the cottage and choose to take the old Coffin Route from Rydal along the north terrace above Rydal Water to Grasmere, where an appointment has been made to have a one-way conversation with Mr William Wordsworth at the grave in the church. The Japanese tourist count is fairly low today,
Mike and AnnaMike and AnnaMike and Anna

At last we get a chance to repay years of kind hospitality to M&A. Let's hope there are many more such opportunities (if they can stand us!).
the season being more or less over. We wander round to the pub-cum-bistro at which the boys had their refreshments back on the 2004 trip and there is the one photo of the day of Penny and Anna at the table (before drinks!).

We carry on the circumnavigation of the two lakes (Grasmere then Rydal again) and walk up along Loughrigg Terrace, stopping to inspect the cave. There is of course a sign of the times - a keep out notice posted by the local Elf an Sayftee jobsworth (sorry, Rydal Estate!).

Yesterday's exercise score was omitted. It was 10 miles and 1020m. Today is 7 miles and 300m, making a running total of 17 miles and 1320 m.

Not wishing to drive, we wander down to the Glen Rothay for dinner. It's very quiet and as we finish up at around 9.30 pm, the manager takes us out to the car park and invites us to watch as he feeds the badgers. There were around a dozen of them feasting on the day's leftovers. No camera about me, dagnabbit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Lunch at GrasmereLunch at Grasmere
Lunch at Grasmere

We're not even halfway round today's hike but lunch is a good propellant...


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb