Sept 15 Monday, Ludlow to Lakes District


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Grasmere
September 16th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday, Sept 15, Ludlow and travel to Lakes District
Not much to report today. Breakfast was much better this morning, and dinner was really good - that's about the best to be said for today. We're on the long drive to Scotland I guess.

First stop was Ludlow, which has a castle, partly in ruins, but it was closed! for clean-up from a weekend food festival -- very well advertised that it seems the tour company should have known about. Some very interesting buildings to take pictures of, and I did get some nice shots from the outside of the castle ruins. I did find a little something on sale in a Woolworth's for DGS (dear grandson, for those of you who don't read Disney forums). Then more uncomfortable bus riding (this bus is not as good as my previous tour bus).

Next we had a short stop in Ironbridge Gorge, to take a photo of the historically significant small iron bridge (because of a discovery about smelting and being able to make larger, stronger pieces of iron). Kind of cute. No info from the TD about bathroom location, but finally found it quite close to the bus (don' t know why she didn't tell us - I told several people after I found it). I got off the right side of the bus, and it was off to the left.

Then we had a very long (3-4 hour ride) with a rest stop at a highway stop, not at all picturesque. We have been bumped to a different hotel, reported to be nicer than the one we were originally scheduled for. The location is pretty, we're in hillier country, along part of one of the lakes, across from Wordsworth's Dove Cottage, but out in the middle of nowhere again. Many people are really upset about their rooms; mine's okay - totally interior and rather dark.

Our included dinner was very good, a little melon for a starter, trout/salmon, vegs, and a good light cheesecake (there were also three choices for each course), and good beer at L2.90 a pint. Weather's a bit gray now with a little bit of sprinkling - not sure how that will be for our boat ride tomorrow.

This trip is kind of -- we get moved from place to place with our luggage, and are given a little info and a time to be back to the bus, sometimes a ticket to an attraction, and then sent off to fend for ourselves. Which I'm very used to, since I usually travel alone, but it's not what most people expect from an escorted motorcoach tour. So, it seems kind of odd, and sometimes like a Comedy of Errors.

We are seeing beautiful country, and interesting and special sights.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb