Road trip to Cornwall


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall
April 13th 2009
Published: April 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So after the recent purchase of our new campervan we decided to hit the road for the Easter long weekend for some relaxing but essentially an extended test drive.

We set out for Cornwall just after lunchtime and proceeded to get stuck on the lovely motorway which is the M3 for what seemed like an eternity. It wasn't until after we got off the M3 that it felt like we actually got into fifth gear! We decided that we would try and make quick tracks to Newquay. Along the way we named the van...His name is Dilbert!

We finally made it to Newquay to see the sun go down and also realise quickly that we had little to no chance of finding anywhere to camp the van overnight. Luckily, Rob had done some research on free-camping spots along the coastline and clifftop carparks and somehow we managed to find one of the aforementioned clifftop carparks in the darkness.

We settled in for the evening and cooked our first meal. Realised we were running low on gas and kept our fingers and toes crossed that we would have enough to cook our curry! Fortunately the gas lasted and we enjoyed a nice meal and a beer before getting some sleep.

We awoke and opened the doors to a magnificient view. The coastline throughout Cornwall is spectacular and after a brief walk around the surroundings we decided to make our way around the coastline towards Lands End, stopping at St Ives briefly.

We spent most of the afternoon at Lands End which was also very beautiful but very commercialised wit slightly over the top amusements. After this we continued on and decided on finding a spot to have some lunch. This proved to be quite difficult when taking into account the size of the van and the width of the extremely narrow roads leading to some of the beach and cove carparks. Rob perservered and did very well considering, especially when we had to pass other vehicles on said narrow roads! We ended up finding a beautiful cove carpark to have some lunch and after that we continued on to our final destination for the evening, Rame.

We made it to our destination right before sunset again and found another breathtaking spot to camp overnight. Headed to a local pub for some dinner before retiring to the van, Rob got the TV to work so we had some entertainment for a couple of hours before the power died!

The next morning we woke up and had some hot cross buns and chocolate before going for a walk around the cliff area. After this we set off on our journey back to London..




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st July 2009

waking up into an amazing view can definitely take your breath away. i envy you and you should be thankful you were able to experience all.

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb