On the Road Again


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Tintagel
April 30th 2008
Published: May 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Leaving London, Marble ArchLeaving London, Marble ArchLeaving London, Marble Arch

Map at the ready leaving London
We have now left London far behind and are in the car driving around the English countryside.

We collected the car from Marble Arch which is right in the heart of the city and with map in hand and heart in mouth we braved the London traffic, double decker buses and endless roundabouts and finally made our way down South. Our first night found us in Chichester near Portsmouth. After the traffic in London we didn't feel brave enough to enter Portsmouth late at night.

Day 2 of our road trip we travelled into Portsmouth and the historic dockyards then onto Salisbury and the beautiful Catherdral. Then onto Stonehenge a mystical place set next to a not so mystical busy highway. We spent this night in Taunton.

Day 3 Taunton to Exeter, Plymouth, Penzance, Mousehole, Minack theatre, Land's End and then Tintagle the legendary birthplace of King Arthur of Round table fame. We stayed at the most gorgeous pub called the Cornishman Inn, open fire and resident cat.....just perfect.

Day 4 Woke to mist and heavy rain and thought that looking over Tintagle ruins would be out of the question. The weather cleared and we had the ruins all to ourselves. Stunning views over the cliffs.
From Tintagle we drove past Launceston, back through Taunton, Bristol and into Wales where we saw Chepstow Castle. This night we spent in Cheltenham, the heart of the Cotswolds.

Day 5 We drove back to Gloucester and had a look at the Cathedral then onto Stow on Wold and Stratford upon Avon then on th M1 straight up to York. Had a great ghost tour of the town, scary stuff. Apparently the most haunted place in the world.

Day 6 York to Whitby then Newcastle on Tyne where we spent the night.

Day 7 Newcastle to Fort William in the Scottish Highlands seeing Hadrian's Wall and Lockerbie on the way.

Day 8 Fort William to Carbisdale Castle.....more on that later.






Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Minack TheatreMinack Theatre
Minack Theatre

Perched high on the Southern Cornish cliffs.
TintagleTintagle
Tintagle

Don't Jump!!
Gloucester CathedralGloucester Cathedral
Gloucester Cathedral

Beautiful stained glass windows in the Cloisters
Anne Hathaway's CottageAnne Hathaway's Cottage
Anne Hathaway's Cottage

Unfortunately covered in scaffolding due to having the thatched roof replaced.
York MinsterYork Minster
York Minster

Breathtaking Cathedral in York, has to be seen to be believed.
WhitbyWhitby
Whitby

The Abbey and St. Mary's church on the hill. The town where Dracula entered England.
Hadrian's WallHadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall

Hadrian's Wall at Chester's Fort, built in 120 AD
LockerbieLockerbie
Lockerbie

Rememberance Garden for the 270 people who lost their lives on the 21st December 1988 in an horrific air disaster in this little Scottish town.
Loch LomondLoch Lomond
Loch Lomond

Beautiful Loch Lomond, part of the National Park in the Western Highlands of Scotland


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb