Praa Sands - Pirate Party & Raft Race (fund raising for Shelter Box) 2012


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Penzance
August 12th 2012
Published: August 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Shelter BoxShelter BoxShelter Box

Those infamous green boxes that go all over to help countries in need.
I was invited by my friend Daph to help with her stand 'Black Cherry' in a craft fayre at Praa Sands; I didn't pay too much attention to the fact that it was a Pirate day with raft race, never having heard of it before and not inquisitive enough to look it up. I was just so happy to be joining her in one of my favourite area's (West Cornwall).

Of course I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass by without booking at least one night stay, much to her surprise! I booked a lovely B&B just outside of Hayle and offered to drive. There are so many lovely places to see in the area, all quite diverse and so beautiful, and all within a few miles - I believe I could stay a month and not run out of places to go and different roads of exploration to take, so happy to get lost I don't even take a map. Fortunately for us, Daph did have a sat nav on her phone, otherwise we may still be driving around looking for the B&B, well it would be a good excuse anyhow.

We had both packed a picnic and without even planning it, one had rolls, the other had the flask and pastries, sitting at Gwithian on the grassy banks was bliss, the scenery is awesome, it never fails to melt my heart, even on a cloudy day, the golden sandy beaches stand out and the sea breaths a happy melody.

Our B&B was a stones throw from the Lamb & Flag, so we could walk over there for our evening meal and thankfully not very busy, the promised karaoke did not happen, instead some Olympic viewing on the big screen. The West Cornwall air was working it's magic, both feeling extremely relaxed and yawning our heads off, we decided on a quiet evening 'in' back at the B&B with our bottle of wine, some chatter and an early night.

The following morning we enjoyed a 'mega' breakfast, more than we could possibly eat, taking some with us for our picnic lunch later. Packed up and a few miles across to Praa Sands for the craft fayre set up. We were the last in and didn't have any awning, just our table, how laid back were we? Everyone else was putting up their little tents, we
King of Pirate RaftsKing of Pirate RaftsKing of Pirate Rafts

This fella was magnificent in the race
set up our table with Black Cherry gemstones jewellery and I moved the car to the car park. We were blessed with the weather, warm sunshine with some cloud cover, so we didn't get burnt, and no rain until it was time to pack up. We watched in awe as all the various rafts were carried down to the beach, so much work had gone into them, and the atmosphere was incredibly infectious - easy going fun day, teams of pirates with individual themes to their raft and all so very different. Shelter box were there with those infamous green boxes, they had their part to play, as the pontoons for the rafts to go out and around.

The tide came in and the beach shrunk as crowds of people gathered for the race at 1pm. It was brilliant, afterward the band played and the rum shack had a very busy day. We had some good custom too, our anklets were a sell out. Everyone was so friendly and relaxed.

At 3.30 I started to make my way to the car park and bring the car closer, in readiness for packing up. Timing was perfect, by 4.30 it
Raft RaceRaft RaceRaft Race

All the work paid off...
had started to rain; we'd packed up and were out just as everyone else was getting the same idea. It felt like a mad dash but worked well and we called in at Porthleven harbour for a walk and a cup of tea - feeling reluctant to leave and yet it really had been a lovely mini holiday.

Apparently this raft race takes place annually and I would recommend it to anyone for a fabulous day of fun. The weekend has inspired me to book a few more days there, late Sept/early Oct, I'm looking forward to it already.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb