Heavenly Scarlet


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Newquay
July 19th 2010
Published: July 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Danielle (a friend from Singapore days, visiting from Australia) and I spent a lovely long weekend at Scarlet in Cornwall, Mawgan Porth. Scarlet opened last September, it is an eco friendly hotel overlooking the ocean and simply divine. Friday evening after a bit of a scramble at London Bridge we got on the slow train to Gatwick. Luckily it was only a domestic flight, but worrying on a propeller plane that sat only a few people. We made it safely out of London and 50mins later landed at Newquay airport. On arriving we noted all the luxury cars Ferrari, Porsche etc plus us in our taxi. We just managed to make the last sitting for dinner; this was one of many fantastic meals over the course of the weekend. The hotel itself was beautifully designed and had wonderful local art work and furniture in every corner. The next morning we opened the curtains to a spectacular view across the bay to the cliffs beyond. The weekend was all about relaxing and pampering. That afternoon we started what they had called a ‘Journey’, basically 4hrs of bliss. I started with a seaweed bath in the open air tubs on the cliff top, then meditation, 90mins full body massage and then finally we were both deposited into the deep relaxation room. This was small dark room with individual pods hanging from the roof, filled with pillows and a lovely rug. They piped some meditation music into the room, I was thinking hmmm, I’ll stay here a few moments and then go for a swim. About 45mins later I woke up.
That evening we went to Fifteen on the coast, Jamie Oliver’s place. The restaurant was excellent; it had a real buzzy atmosphere and wonderful views to the rolling waves. We went for the full tasting menu and accompanying wines, so we rolled out of there close to midnight. Sunday morning started with another delightful breakfast followed by champagne in the hot hub on the cliffs - wonderful! That afternoon we thought it would be a good idea to check out Newquay, we arrived and left 1hr later. But not before we saw a seagull steal some poor guys sandwich directly from his hands, viscous and bold the worst kind of gull. After a cocktail on the top balcony and a lovely sunset, it was down stairs for another three course meal. Monday involved a lot of reading, swimming in the indoor pool and a facial. Early evening we headed back out to the airport, super relaxed.
PHOTOS



Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb