British Beauty; Cadgwith - a seaside village supported by local produce


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Lizard
July 6th 2014
Published: July 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post


Cadgwith Fish Seller
The hussle and bussle of city life is completely non-existent here in the fishing village of Cadgwith; no supermarkets, no streetlights, and barely any phone signal. This small and beautiful village is purely based upon local produce, and that's how the community like it.

The Cadgwith Fish Seller makes the most of the natural resources in a part of Britain well known for its quality and quantity of fish. Seagulls dominate the wildlife and the leftover crabs legs and various lobster pots in the dock portray the typical stunning seaside village. According to the locals, some may be lucky enough to witness some Basking Sharks and dolphins!

In the village shop The Crow's Nest Art Gallery, next to the fishmongers, I met a lovely lady who explained how the products are all locally made, often from small businesses in the area. Her own paintings have stretched as far as Texas in America! She was passionate about the community spirit in Cadgwith, in how it's very tight-knit and has luckily avoided mass tourism found in other areas of the Lizard peninsula.

The natural beauty here is incredible, but what's even better is the way in which the
IMG_1198IMG_1198IMG_1198

Cadgwith Village Shop
locals look after it. The glorious stroll down the small village path was met with many pit stops to admire the beautiful gardens, or speak to passers by. My mother bonded with one local lady who was very appreciative of the advice on her foxglove plants! We saw some seagulls nesting on the way down, it's an area rich in wildlife!

So in summary on our first day here, it's incredible! An easy recommendation which once again highlights Britain's own destinations. I'm typing this while watching Wimbledon listening to the waves of the sea and a cockerel and sheep having a singing/shouting match. The locals are lovely and it's easy to see why they're so enthusiastic about the village!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

IMG_1200IMG_1200
IMG_1200

The Crow's Nest Art Gallery is located upstairs
IMG_1183IMG_1183
IMG_1183

Cadgwith Dock
IMG_1161IMG_1161
IMG_1161

Seagull Nest
IMG_1175IMG_1175
IMG_1175

Lobster Pots


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb