...and is there honey still for tea?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
August 9th 2014
Published: August 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Given England's reputation for inclement weather, we have been extraordinarily lucky all week with mild, sunny days and hardly any rain. But the day I most wanted great weather was today and it was glorious. This morning we took a chauffeured punt on the Cam, looking at the beautiful colleges and bridges as we glided along. The Wren Library wasn't open (we are having bad luck with libraries!) so after our punt we spent plenty of time in the gorgeous Kings College Chapel enjoying the architecture and stained glass windows. We picnicked on The Backs and then had a walk along the country lanes to Grantchester. I think it is the prettiest place we have been: an abundance of well-maintained thatched cottages and pretty gardens, plus, of course, The Old Vicarage which I have 'known' most of my life thanks to Rupert Brooke's poem. We had tea and scones under the apple trees in the orchard where Brooke lived, next to the Old Vicarage, and where Virginia Wolf, Bertrand Russell and John Maynard Keynes were regular guests. We read the poem aloud as we ate our scones and toasted the memory of my father who taught me the poem...and yes, in answer to the final line of the poem, as well as jam and cream there was honey still for tea. It was a truly delightful day - our last with Raphael who heads back to Israel tomorrow to rejoin his group. We have so enjoyed travelling with him and will miss his company as we continue. But it is so good to have seen how he has grown these past months and to have shared this special time together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



10th August 2014
The Old Vicarage, Grantchester

Did you see any lilacs?
Aaaah, Grantchester.........brought back memories of a beautiful day there some years ago.....we also took tea with scones, jam and cream. The Church clock did not stand at ten to three - that is not the right time for tea you know!!!!! So lovely to be enjoying your trip from the warmth of our home in the coldness of Melbourne. The photo of Raph relaxing in the deckchair says it all.......OUr 20th anniversary service yesterday was a cracker.....house almost full, very loud and enthusiastic singers with all our musicians up there - Sam Osborn on drums after we had a ten minute "drumming for peace" welcome. Libby had pulled out a lot of the old melodies for the songs so it was a trip down musical memory lane as well. On the walls we had a lot of memorabilia. Lovely readings with special prayers for Israel, John Levi gave the most magnificent Dvar Torah wherein he wove the parsha, kedem's milestone and Israel using as the thread the ability for people and a people to change.......will get the text for the next Megillah. You were missed!!!!!! Kiddush of course was delicious - very fancy and fully catered after a huge debate. Now we are back to reality and planning Paula's Bat Mitzvah which is next week and then High Holyday planning in full swing. Hoping to get to the football today with footy buddy Jim Cyngler but at present it is cold and I am feeling a little flu-ey so I may be sensible and stay home,.......then again I may not.........Continue enjoying your travels. It will be a little different without your beautiful boy but it is so wonderful that he is looking so well and thriving in his environment. Much love and I look forward to the next instalment.

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.052s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb