Stone Villages


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
June 9th 2007
Published: June 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

That word again - yep ! - you guessed …. gloomy.

Wednesday through to Friday I was cloaked in dull grey skies. Although there was little rain the light was really quite useless for photography.

Saturday dawned gloomy but with promise of clearing skies. A hint of blue appeared by late-morning which was rather late to achieve much by bike so I packed the car and set-off for a circuit to the north and north east of Sawtry. This is an area on the Huntingdonshire / Northamptonshire border that is completely new to me and I was pleasantly surprised and can recommend a number of delightful villages.

Villages such as Glatton with their colourful thatched cottages and timber frames are worth a few minutes of your time even if there is no specific point of interest - I doubt that they receive many visitors. A highlight was undoubtedly the hamlet of Haddon which has a tiny Norman church crammed full of architectural and historical interest.

Crossing the county border you are once more into one of those transitional regions so loved by travellers. Although there is no change in the rolling scenery of arable fields the human landscape immediately changes with stone villages resembling those of the Cotswolds. Polebrook and Warmington are both dominated by their churches and cottages built in a creamy yellow stone that reflects bright sunshine to produce picture postcard scenes.

Lovely countryside !


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb