Duxford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
May 1st 2007
Published: May 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather

Again warm and sunny although a stiff easterly wind made for some difficult biking at times.

Not completely sorted yet so about 7.40am before I set-off. Will have to improve !!!! Explored an area bounded by the M11 / A11 and A1307. Doubtless you like me and many tens of thousands have zoomed past this area on the M11 without giving it a second thought. Suggest you give it a thought or two.

Although this is hardly beautiful countryside being dominated by undulating fields of arable with few livestock except near the occasional stream there is much of interest especially architecturally. There are a number of delightful settlements - small villages rather than towns. Places such as Duxford, Hinxton, Ickleton, Little Shelford and Whittlesford have interesting medieval churches some with thought provoking history such as the bent spire of Duxford which apparently was given its gentle curve by a spitfire landing at the nearby airport in the 1940s. Have that on good authority from a lovely lady who accosted me and explained all about the church and village.

All these villages have a range of interesting buildings with thatch much in evidence although there are some timbered houses and a few where flint nodules have been used. Those who enjoy pub lunches will be delighted by pubs that reflect the local architecture including thatch.

I ended the day at Wandlebury Country Park which is a world renowned feature (how many of you knew that ?). The focal point is the large ring fort that tops the hill - probably an old fortification of the Iceni who you will recall gave the Romans a good bashing. There are some gentle walks laid out through the surrounding woods which lead to a view point giving good views to the north as far as the towers of Ely Cathedral - just. Some highland cattle give further interest.

Eventually returned to base about 5pm.

Another long day in the saddle tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb