Leaving London . First stop Cambridge.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
September 13th 2017
Published: September 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

This morning we packed and set off for Heathrow again to pick up our car. We had to wait a while for the car to be located and washed, but eventu we were on our way. With enough data on the phone, we used it as our gps, and were soon on our way to the motorway. Our first objective was Duxford, and the Imperial war museum. Duxford is a flying base, now 100 years old. It has a variety of displays- planes on static display, planes being reconditioned, the history of the airfield, and an American museum recognising that the Americans took over the base and used it in WW2. The weather was very average today, rain, sun, wind. We got it all. The base is quite big, and at one point as we were ealking from one end to the other we got quite wet. During the afternoon a number of planes were also flying around, so there was plenty of entertainment. About four it was back into the car for the short trip to Cambridge. Traffic was fairly busy, and the gps was a great help. We parked our car in the Royal Cambridge Hotel car park and went in. First impressions were not fantastic, but getting to see our room got rid of any negative ideas. The room is spacious and light, and was full of sun in the afternoon. A cup of tea, and then out to explore the town, looking for a place for dinner, and finding out how the town is set out. Some beautiful old buildings, as well as more modern university faculties. The colleges are not really open at the moment, as the uni students don't start for a little while yet. Tomorrow we will find a walking tour, so we can get the historical perspective. We found two places for dinner. One for tonight- Loch Fyne- and one for tomorrow-Trinity. A good walk through the town, finding a Sainbury's to get some Vicks vapourub- a real bonus! Time to sit and relax before dinner, then out to face the elements again. A pleasant dinner, a cup of tea and off to bed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb