Punting on the Cam River


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
June 13th 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Leah and Caleb both have activities this morning, so we used the time that they were all away to get school work done. When they all returned, we had some lunch before heading off for a walk down to the docks. We stopped by, Welsley college, where Stephen was a student and has also taught, to drop off Caleb's bicycle.

At the docks, Stephen had arranged for a boat for us to go punting. Evy and Kirsty chose (perhaps wisely) to stay ashore as only 6 are allowed per boat.

The boats that are used for punting are relatively wide, with a flat bottom and square bow and stern. The technique consists of pushing a long pole into the bottom of the river and then using it to propel the boat forward. If you are not lucky, the poles sticks in the mud and may pull you in with it.

Stephen took first go at the punting. Being a summer Saturday afternoon, the river was just full of boats, most steered by people who seemed to have no idea what they were doing. The basic rule is that boats stay to the right on the river, but many boats were coming up the wrong way making it quite awkward.

Stephen did an excellent job of playing tour guide at the same time as punting, pointing out the colleges where C.W. Lewis, Lewis Carrol, and other famous names had attended or taught. At one point we passed under The Bridge of Sighs, which is a replica of the one by the same name in Venice, Italy. Trinity College, from the water, was particularly impressive and seems almost meant to be seen this angle.

After bringing us most of the way to the turning point, Stephen and I switched and I got to try punting, just as we were passing Evy and Kirsty who were on a bridge above. Despite the historic charm, I would never suggest this as an efficient way of boating. We were passed by a kayaker, and I wished we had that paddle rather than this awkward pole. At one point I got the pole stuck in the mud and had to let go, using our small paddle to get back to it.

While we were applying our skills to punting, Evy and Kirsty were making their way to Kings College to see us further along the river. Kirsty managed to use her resident status to get both herself and Evy into the chapel. Unfortunately she is the only one that manages to see it as it is closed later when I try and get in with Stephen.

Meanwhile, heading back toward the docks, we switched punter again, and Benjamin took over. He was quite good at it and made it look easy.

Back on shore, we met up with Evy and Kirsty and we walked back into the main part of the town. We made attempts to visit some of the college including Trinity, but unfortunately exams were on and they were closed to visits. After getting ice cream, we headed back home.

Back home, Joshua, Leah, and Caleb wanted to go to the swimming pool in the park so I took them over. After such a hot day, they seemed to enjoy the swimming and Leah had great fun chasing after a boy her age and calling him a “Scallywag”.

We had another traditional English dinner, this time Roast Beef, and then talked into the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb