Visit to Cambridge (Fitzwilliams Museum)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
July 29th 2019
Published: July 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Fitzwilliams MuseumFitzwilliams MuseumFitzwilliams Museum

Run by Cambridge University
On 19th July we visited Cambridge. As we travel to Bury St Edmunds to see parents-in-law, we used King’s Cross station and took the train for King’s Lynn. The weather wasn’t quite promising on 19th July; we both umbrellas and I wore a raincoat. As it was raining when we arrived at Cambridge station, we decided to catch the bus for the town centre. We saw the bus going was going through high streets, town centre, but realized that the bus didn’t seem to stop at the bus terminal and seemed to be going to outskirts of Cambridge. We got off at one of the Commons near the edge of the town centre.







Having followed the maps and signs, we reached Fitzwilliam Museum on Trumpington Street. Like London’s British Museum, the building of Fitzwilliam Museum was like Greek Temple. I’d heard that Fitzwilliams Museum is managed by Cambridge University – and we were offered free entry. We decided to look round the exhibition rooms on the 1st floor. Some of the rooms were closed for refurbishment. Nevertheless, this museum had immense collections of paintings, sculpture, and modern art works and decorative furniture. Like National Gallery and Tate Britain in London, we saw a number of wonderful Old masterpieces, Italian’s mythological artworks by Pisanello, Masaccio, Lippi and Botticelli, French impressionist works and post impressionist works, and the Dutch and British paintings. There were a lot of modernist, 20th century paintings, stylish pieces of furniture, sculptures displayed in the exhibition rooms. We nearly spent 3 hours on looking round exhibition rooms on the 1st floor and got tired. We had a tea and cake in the team room around 4 o’clock and looked round Egyptian mummies’ and coin exhibitions and decorative porcelain on the ground floor.







There are 3 well-known science museums – Whipple Museum, Zoology Museum, The Sedwick Museum of Earth Science – but didn’t really have the time to visit those museums on 19th July. We went back to London afterwards.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb