Wet soggy hats and the A list


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Buckinghamshire » Ascot
June 23rd 2007
Published: June 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have arrived!We have arrived!We have arrived!

Julie and Sarah
Part of the great British experience includes donning frock and hat and doing the "My Fair Lady" at the Ascot races (Mum, please don't sing).

With this inspiration, some work colleagues and I packed ourselves on a train full of well-dressed yobs to head to the splendour and pomp of Ascot. (Men in top hats shouldn't be allowed to drink beer. Spoils the whole look.)

There was pomp and royalty a-plenty, for sure. The Queen was there with Prince P, promenading along the home straight. I am not sure that the Queen's eyesight was good enough to appreciate the impressive waving technique that we had all been practising, however we all enjoyed ourselves.

There was also plenty of miserable cold London rain.
Summer has not yet come to London and the weather didn't take a break for the races. Soggy feathers, squelchy toes in sandals, mud-spattered hems and lots of wet brollies.

There were enough breaks in the weather to keep our spirits high but a bit more sunshine would have been welcome.

In spite of the clouds and abundance of water there was plenty to see and entertain on and off the field. Wild hats, loud dresses, mud over everything, peeping toms and even a celebrity footballer (as one of the girls in our group was kind enough to point out at the top of her lungs when said footballer was only standing a few people away).

The Australian horses let us down (must have been the rain), but a few of our group proved to be lucky based on fashion choices (horses in orange were the flavour of the day). Enough winnings to pay for the overpriced lunches, at least.

All the thrills of the races!

And Mum, just for you, there was a band near the food area playing show tunes (including My Fair Lady).



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A famous earA famous ear
A famous ear

C'mon, don't you know who it is? (Michael Owen - he wouldn't turn around probably understandably after nearby girls started shrieking loudly)


27th July 2007

LUVERLEEEY
Ooooo....you all look SO Luverleeey! I'm glad to see that youse all washed ya face and 'ands before ya cum. Just you wait, Michael Owens, just you wait! You'll be sorry but your tears'll be too late. (You missed some top sheilas by ignoring them!) Bad luck about the weather... I thought that the rain stayed in Spain; mainly in the plain. How jolly unreasonable of it to sog up the fun at Ascot! OK, I'll stop singing now:)

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb