Chilling Out In Odessa


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine » Odessa
October 6th 2007
Published: October 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today will probably be the most dull blog so far to read and yet it was such a fantastic day. Due to our late night yesterday, we didn't even get up till after midday. When we did get up, we chatted to the English guy for quite a while and didn't finish breakfast till around 2pm. We were half planning to go and see Odessa's beach, but the weather was miserable so we used it as an excuse to spend the day around the hostel.

There are only three of us in the hostel now, us and a really nice Brummy. The staff are really friendly and quite chatty so it is quite easy to spend a day lazing around. I found a magazine so we laid on the bed and listened to music whilst reading.

Since we have been traveling we have accumulated lots of questions about things that we haven't been able to find out there and then. In the Ukraine there are so many occasions when we don't have the language ability to find out what we want to know. We bought a notebook so that we can write down things so that we remember to look them up when we have time.

Later on in the day we were nice and cosy and decided we couldn't be bothered dressing up and attempting to find a restaurant that served something edible. One supermarket trip later and we had a bag of yummy vegetables (all Be it ugly ones) and a bottle of Odessa champagne all for about £6.

Back at the hostel we concocted a shepards pie of sorts. We cooked all the veg in a tomato sauce and then put mashed tatties on top and attempted to grill cheese on top. Rob did a large part of the preparation because I got caught up in a conversation with the Brummy, and just didn't realise how long we were talking. It was really nice to have a conversation with someone who you don't know what they are going to say before they do.

The meal itself was yummy and so much more appreciated for the situation and the fact it was cooked in a rather old fashioned kitchen. We wanted to watch a film with the meal, but whilst we were waiting for the cheese to grill, a guy came in and turned off the lights and turned on the rugby game. I found out that it was the owner and therefore there was nothing we could do but abandon the film and watch the stupid N. Zealand, France game. When we finished our meal, the Brummy came in to chat and he just kept on turning up the volume so we couldn't hear ourselves think. We eventually left him to his game with French commentary and moved into the bedroom.

Later on in the evening we decided to go and watch the film we had planned to watch earlier but it was actually rather boring so I went and started to look at things on the internet. Rob joined me and we drooled over such destinations like Brazil, Mexico, Cuba and Chile. Once everyone else arrived back from the clubs we decided it was time for us to go to bed, which we did. This was one of the most relaxing and needed days we have had on this trip so far.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 23; qc: 126; dbt: 0.1359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb