made it to l'viv


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine » Lviv
July 15th 2006
Published: July 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hello all, we are still doing well. our trip to the mountains was relatively uneventful. The gorgeous environment we were expecting did not materialize. Places were quaint, but not well kept or interesting. THe beer was good, vodka good and food also good. THe way of life here is far behind what i thought it would be. The infrastructure is poor, many building are half done or mostly decayed. Gardens grow, but the weeds are competing for space. Harvesting of wheat is still done with a scyth(sp) and piled up in stookes. Women are working everywhere doing the labour, men drive horse drawn carriages on the highways and we had to stop a few times for cows walking down the middle of the highway. It is interesting, but not what I would have expected from the old USSR machine - or maybe it is, as the poor are kept very poor.
L'viv is a nice town, untouched by the devastation of the war, many European type buildings, horse drawn carriages for tourists etc. Today is saturday and the weddings were in full swing. We must have seen 20 brides all dressed up. We shall explore the main town tonight, find a good eatery and tomorrow we get a private tour of the city. No USB port today - so no pictures.
The weather has cooled down and we are wearing jackets. We are all healthy and we hope all of you are too.
until next time

PLLE

Advertisement



15th July 2006

Update
HI again! Sounds like you guys are pickled!! heh heh heh! Anyways, good to hear things are going well. If you can, bring us back a bottle of Wodka! I"m sure you already know Gerry goes for surgery July 24th but in case you didn't. Weather here is hot hot hot so I hope it warms up for you! Ta ta!
18th July 2006

Happy travels
We are happy to hear that the 4 of you are safe and having fun. It is great to get your messages and photos. All is well here. Love Mom

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb