Lviv


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine » Lviv
March 26th 2007
Published: March 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From the Ritz to the RubbleFrom the Ritz to the RubbleFrom the Ritz to the Rubble

The rubble! Our Apartment!
The journey from Krakow took a whole day which was pretty annoying to say to say how close they are (Lviv was once part of Poland and is about 80km from the border). The trip to the border town where we had to change trains was pretty uneventful however when we tried to get across to get our next train we were not allowed on the platform as the train was still being cleaned. We were stood waiting noticing how much stuff everyone had with them- luggage and boxes of food I'm not sure whether they were to be sold on but most people had trolleys full of boxes. worrying that our carriage might be taken by one of these people and our seats used to store these boxes we started to jostle with the rest of the crowd to get to the front of the 'queue' that was forming as the activity of the guards made everyone think that anytime now the gates would be soon be opened! When they were it was the biggest free for all I have ever seen- I think most of them would push over their own Grandma to get on first! One old lady who I had worried might get hurt in the melee was absolutely brilliant she took two people out with her shopping bags and climbed over a trolley to get through but then walked so slowly that the people she had fought to get past all got on the train before her- the fight was obviously all she was interested in!

Unfortunately Lviv is the only place we will be visiting in Ukraine but I have to say what a place! We have seen so many beautiful cities with picture perfect squares in recent weeks that Lee and I were wondering whether we should go to Slovakia for its natural beauty rather than come here. Thankfully we didn't! As war has not damaged Lviv and the shiny new skyscrapers that were all over the Baltic's have not arrived here yet there is no touristy old town and commercial new town where the locals go- the whole place is interesting and beautiful to look at but it is also a completely working city.

There are not many tourists and so many beautiful buildings are being used for day to day things not just posh restaurants or souvenir shops it feels like no one has noticed just how incredible this city is! The hotel we have just spent our last night in is the perfect example it is called Hotel George and is in a great location with amazing big rooms but it hasn't been modernized since the 70s at least so it is more of a backpacker hostel than a Hilton! It was a great experience staying there though- a real time-machine experience! It had to be better than our apartment which was shabby to say the least- when you used water for a shower or to flush the toilet the lights would flicker on and off- madness! I was not a fan of the entrance way to the flat either (see photo) it didn't smell too pleasant and the staircase was concave!
Lviv gave us a really good impression of Ukraine we would definitely love to visit again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

L'vivL'viv
L'viv

Lada's, cobbled street, beautiful buildings falling apart! Awesome


5th May 2007

Sorry to bug you but I was wondering what was the name of the apartment you stayed at in Lviv?
5th May 2007

L'viv Apartment
Stefanyka Str, 11 / 98. We booked it through the following site http://www.inlviv.info/apartments/1room_b/#103 Have fun in L'viv its a great place Lee

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb