Kiev, Ukraine


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine » Kiev
May 31st 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fountain in Independence SquareFountain in Independence SquareFountain in Independence Square

The fountain of the four legendary founders of the city (brothers Kyi, Shchek, Khoryv and sister Lybid)
Yo dudes - finally getting the blog thing going!

I met up with Brad at the airport in Munich for the last leg of our respective flights that took us into Kiev at 11pm at night. Things went quite smoothly on arrival. An airport staff member assisted us through immigration and customs so we bypassed the line-up and were met by a driver from our hotel. With a small miracle we were able to squeeze 2 wheelchairs, 3 large suitcases and sundry hand language into his Renault and made our way to the hotel.

I did fair bit of research trying to find a hotel with suitable rooms. Many of the hotels in the center of town are large Soviet era monstrosities with poor quality rooms, elevators that sometimes don't work and hotel staff with legendarily poor service. There are a few new, western hotels but prices are $450 US and up. I found some smaller hotels that looked promising but when I found pictures most had steps to get in and out of the hotel.

In the end we settled on a newer hotel on the third floor of a condominium with only 20 rooms. It proved
Friendship ArchFriendship ArchFriendship Arch

The "Friendship Arch" overlooking the Dnipro river in Kiev at sunset.
to be a great choice. We had a large 3 room, 2 bedroom suite and excellent service from the staff.

I befriended one of the guys who worked there, Yarislov, who took me out two days in a row to explore Kiev and give a guided tour. Up and down hills, over curbs and stairs - awesome guy. Kiev is a beautiful city with broad streets, 19th century architecture and lots of green space, mixed with imposing massive Soviet style buildings.

The woman here are truly stunning - every where we look! It really is unbelievable. They are all incredibly stylish. Long legs, skin tight jeans, high heels, short tops, incredibly impractical but smoking hot. This is the whitest city I've ever seen. Copenhagen was pretty homogeneous but it's cosmopolitan compared to Kiev. Brad and I sat out people watching, drinking beers at an outdoor cafe near Independence Square one evening. In the course of an hour we didn't see a single African, Oriental, Indian face - pretty much 100% white - crazy. Kiev is mythically founded by the Vikings and the Swedish blood seems to run true still today.

On Friday night we went to one
Independence SquareIndependence SquareIndependence Square

An old school Soviet era hotel dominates the square. On the weekend the main road is closed to traffic making a great community space.
of the hotter night clubs in Kiev - Decadence. Brad was in heaven. The place was very upscale and pretty packed, Kiev's beautiful people bar, Brad's favorite kind of place. A few minutes after we arrived he said "Dude, I can't believe it, have you ever seen so many stunningly beautiful woman in place" and then all night long, every half hour or so, "Dude, I can't believe it...". Needless to say, Brad is a very happy man right now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

YarislovYarislov
Yarislov

Yarislov worked reception at the hotel and offered to take me around Kiev while Brad was sleeping off a hangover. With hills, curbs and no ramps I couldn't have done it without him. Thanks Yarislov!
Kiev girlsKiev girls
Kiev girls

Ah yes - the ladies are lovely
Kiev girlsKiev girls
Kiev girls

No mini skirt can be too mini here!


4th June 2008

oh, to be abroad with no responsibilities...
glad to see that you're having a great time!
4th June 2008

The Weather
Hi Benj. I can see posting is going to take a bit of getting used to. Have lost the message 3 times already. Am following the weather and the time in Odessa on my touch. Former looks good. Latter 7 hours ahead. Dad
5th June 2008

Lovely but eeeew
Okay, not to be catty or anything, because yes they are lovely, but do ALL the women smoke?
6th June 2008

Very nice.... monuments
I can definitely see how the lovely architecture inspired you guys to visit one of the secret gems of Eastern Europe. Have lotsa fun man! ./\. PS: How's the music scene over there??
6th June 2008

Locations
Have been looking at downtown Odesa on Google Earth. Central Station clearly visible. Independence Sq relative to this? Your hotel name and street might help locate you as well. Temp today here is 32 in the shade. Located a 1982 online map of Odesa. Crylic alphabet is based on Greek one so I can almost decipher capitals. One payoff of a classic education. Dad
16th July 2008

A great hotel in Kiev
We stayed at the Hotel Attache in Kiev. I can't say enough good things about them. The staff were excellent and the rooms were of very good quality. It's about a 15 minute walk to Independence Square, 5 minutes to the train station, 5 minutes to the botanical gardens. There are cheaper places but none with better value in my opinion. http://www.attashe.com.ua/index_en.html

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb