Mezhyhirya Residence of the Fled Ukrainian President.


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine » Kiev
September 4th 2021
Published: September 4th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Mezhyhirya Residence of the Fled Ukrainian President.



The Mezhyhirya Residence is in the village of Novi Petrivtsi, north of Kiev.

The massive estate (340-acre) was the home of former President Viktor Yanukovych, who fled the country during the 2014 Ukrainian revolution.



Of all the pieces of opulence found onthe golden loaf became the most famous token of the corruption that fueled the rebellion, key chains and fridge magnets of the loaf were sold on Kiev’s Independent Square as mementoes of the revolution and its promise to make politicians stop stealing from the people.



The estate was transferred back to state ownership that spring, and was officially a museum by the end of the year.

The central feature is the luxurious “Honka” clubhouse. Yanukovych decorated the house and property with outlandishly decadent possessions, including a piano modeled after the one from John Lennon’s “Imagine” video, stuffed lions and stuffed alligators, suits of armour and snakeskin plant-pots.



There was a vintage car and motorcycle collection, a 3D movie theatre, a helipad, countless paintings and sculptures, and ornamental duck houses.



The well-being centre with boxing ring and
bowling alley had an underground tunnel leading to the house. We were unable to go inside the buildings so Olga showed us photographs of opulent rooms and decor.



Even a state-of-the-art lab for testing food, greenhouses for growing it, and a zoo and dog-breeding facility.



There is a charge to see the inside of the house and well-being around 25 Euros which is expensive for most Ukraine residents, 5 Euro will allow entry into the grounds.



The grounds were extensive with beautiful lakes and fountains surrounded with expensive trees and plants, crocodile skin plant pots, ceramic & stone sculptures & a very ornate BBQ. The huge sofa and chairs are a new addition relating to the oversize ego of Yanukovych.



This tour was definitely an eye-opener on political corruption.



https://www.heygo.com/olgamarvelouskyiv


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement












Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb