Poschiavo


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
September 10th 2010
Published: September 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

PoschiavoPoschiavoPoschiavo

Alps from the street of Poschiavo
I've made it to Italy, but only for 30 minutes and since they are EU members, I don't even get my passport stamped, darn! We took the train from Poschiavo south to see a famous circular railroad bridge in Brusio Switzerland. It didn't seem all that spectacular, but since it was built 100 years ago the engineering was pretty impressive. It was much closer to Poschiavo than we knew and since it such a beautiful day, we decided to ride the train to the end of the Bernia Express in Torano, Italy. We actually never left the station, but Italy is Italy. My only regret is I forgot to get a picture of my feet in there!!

On the return trip we stopped at Mirlago which is at the far tip of Lake Poschiavo and walked back into town. Gary and I need to double the time posted on the trail signs because we stop to smell and take pictures of too many flowers along the way (it took us 4 hours for a 2.5 hour trail). The lake is this marvelous shade of green that we think is from minerals in the water and so clear you can see rocks many feet down in the lake. The trail along the lake goes through several tunnels and along huge rocks faces covered with moss, lichens and wild flowers (I still think I am in heaven). After rounding the lake we walked along the hiking trail which is really just a dirt path with the river on one side and farm fields on the other (we passed an entire field of thyme and one of mustard) and we didn't get lost today. Gary would say we really weren't lost yesterday; we did get home, although by the long route, so I guess it's just the Y chromosome perspective. The river is the same clear green as the lake and has the most wonderful sound as it rushes by (you can see the bottom except in the rapids. Every house and apartment building here have the most beautiful gardens; not just in Poschiavo, but in all the towns we walked through or pass on the train. The gardens take up most of their yards and are filled with flowers, vegetables and herbs . It gives Gary and I incentive for a bigger garden next year.

Today we took the Glacier Express.
Cirular ViaductCirular ViaductCirular Viaduct

Our train on the circular viaduct
I'm too tired to download pictures tonight. More on that tomorrow.

Auf Wiedersehen,
Mary and Gary



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Lake  PoschiavoLake  Poschiavo
Lake Poschiavo

You can really see the true color of the lake in this picture
Lake Poschiavo trailLake Poschiavo trail
Lake Poschiavo trail

Gary at entrance to trail tunnel
Lake Poschiavo tunnelLake Poschiavo tunnel
Lake Poschiavo tunnel

A window in tunnel!
Lady's MantleLady's Mantle
Lady's Mantle

On the shore of Lake Poschiavo
The perfect blue bell picture??The perfect blue bell picture??
The perfect blue bell picture??

On the shore of Lake Poschiavo
PoschiavoPoschiavo
Poschiavo

Garden of the house behind our hotel
PoschiavoPoschiavo
Poschiavo

River through town and along the hiking trail.
PoschiavoPoschiavo
Poschiavo

Town square


Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb