Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
September 24th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have been in Switzerland for 2 weeks now and have been around much of the country so this blog will be more of a summary of the best bits.

From France we drove into Switzerland, Through Martingny, across to Zermatt at the base of the Matterhorn, across the Grimselpass to Interlaken, up to Grindelwald at the base of the Eiger, then out of Switzerland via Bern and Basel (on our way to the Black forrest in Germany). Back into Switzerland at Kreuzlingen (at lake Constance) through St Gallen to briefly pop into the 6th smallest country in the world (Liechtenstein) then through Chur, the Oberalppass, Luzern and then to Solothurn where we are staying with Matthias a friend of Richards from high school.

Did you get all that?

From Solothurn we have been to Zurich, Bern and the Emmental.

One of the highlights:
Grindelwald was the starting point of our 'epic' day walk under the Eiger. We started wandering upwards through the surrounding farmhouses quite early. The path took us right through peoples backyards, and at times we thought we had probably taken the wrong path (we now know this is normal here in Switzerland). The path was pretty easy going as it meandered through local farms and skifields, the only obstacles being the cows. There are no fences, so the cows just wander freely through the hills, with their bells clanging. Despite the easy path we still arived at Kleine Scheidegg (1200m higher than our start point) looking a little worse for wear, in comparison to all the tourists that took the train. After a quick break we headed to Männlichen. This route was pretty busy, full of people that caught the gondola up! The path down from Mannlichen was more of a trail, and the 2 hour descent was pretty hard on the kness! We did spot some wildlife though. We saw a marmot chasing a fox down the hill - something you dont see everyday! And the only Marmot we have seen on our trip so far.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Stereotypical switzerland!Stereotypical switzerland!
Stereotypical switzerland!

We had been in Interlaken about an hour before the cows come perading through.
Our view from the campground in InterlakenOur view from the campground in Interlaken
Our view from the campground in Interlaken

From left to right, Eiger, Monch, Jungfrau
Klein scheidegg, above GrindelwaldKlein scheidegg, above Grindelwald
Klein scheidegg, above Grindelwald

We are looking slightly more tired after the 1200m ascent, than everybody else who caght the train!
Snow!!Snow!!
Snow!!

Snow in the hills around Oberalp pass
Matthias and LenaMatthias and Lena
Matthias and Lena

Our guides in Solothurn


25th September 2007

Great photos guys - looks beautiful!

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb