Zermatt and the Matterhorn!


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Zermatt
May 21st 2007
Published: May 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Zermatt is a delightful valley village where cars have literally been banished in favor of bicycles and rectangular electric cars. Car drivers must leave their vehicles in a massive Petrol Tomb about seven kilometres out of town, and then catch the train into the fabulous little town.

Zermatt is also at the base of the Matterhorn, and hence the gateway to some of the highest skiing in Europe. Thanks to some summer skiers stomping around town in their boots and overalls, we now have a vague idea of what it will be like in winter (although in winter you can't just come for a couple of nights...you have to book by the week!).

Unfortunately, the food was just as bready-and-cheesy. To avoid the bread we had our first rosti for dinner. We then had horrendous gas and sweated lard for the next 24 hours.

Apparently rosti is a German-Swiss specialty, but it looks and tastes more like someone regurgitated pre-chewed potato into a tub of butter and then fried it for 30 seconds. Those who would like a more balanced diet can add meat and cheese to their rosti if they wish. And never fear: a rosti is also served with bread.

To work off our rosti in private, the next day we again headed to the hills, walking part of the way up to Gornergrat. The mountains here are even more amazing than in St Moritz…just a massive 360 degree panorama of snow and mountains. AMAZING!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb