Lovely boat trip on Lake Geneva / Leman


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Montreux
September 20th 2022
Published: September 28th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Lovely day today and all the more precious as last full day of the holiday. Still three full days but those will be travelling days with stops each night as we drive up France to Calais ready for the ferry on Saturday.

We had found a boat trip round this end of the lake running every couple of hours for two hours and headed down for the one just before 1pm. Miscalculated the time and we were way too early so changed our plans a little and went to the Coop for the bits of food we needed to get us home.

Then we set off to explore the medieval village of Villeneuve en route back to the campsite. Rather astonishingly we had only just realized it was there, tucked away behind the main street. Quite delightful but first stop the Patisserie. So tempted by the cakes on display we went in, bought filled rolls and yummy cakes and had lunch there.
Then back to the campsite but through the pretty streets of the town. Really quite amazed to think we might never have realized this was such a super place, we had thought it was all about the lake and the surrounding mountains.

Back two hours later for the 14.53 boat which arrived at about 15.30 but a super blue sky day, full sun and a lovely spot to wait for a boat which proved to be a very impressive paddle boat. Not cheap at 51chf each but we had a really lovely trip so we don’t care.

The trip took us in a loop round our end of the lake to the south side first where it stopped at the last village before, or even on to be specific, the Swiss, French border. Then across to Vervey on the north side, back past Montreux and stopping at a few other villages on the way including Chateau de Chillon which we had planned to visit but decided on this boat trip instead.

An absolute delight. Sun fully out and sky without a cloud and didn’t even need a jacket even going across the lake. Lots of other passengers on the boat getting on and off at the various village stops. I had a conversation at one point with a German lady who spoke no English (or French) and I don’t speak German. Somehow we discussed several things. It was really quite funny 😊

Back at Villeneuve and we stopped for early dinner at a restaurant en route for the campsite then headed for a bird reserve (Les gragnettes). Not much to see as September is not ‘birding’ season but always good to watch a heron up a tree as we did.

Back then to the campsite for a last drink at the very pleasant little bar and now back in the van with Bob resting his right knee as the ligaments are painfully playing up and we need his knee to drive us home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb