Day 7 - Chambloux, France to Montreux, Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Montreux
September 16th 2018
Published: September 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 7


Additional maps: Day 7

Despite the church bells ringing every 15 minutes outside our window, we managed to have a good nights sleep. We were both up early to catch the sunrise over the mountain range, and to see Mont Blanc, which had been shrouded by clouds. It was very beautiful, and well worth the loss of a little sleep. Breakfast was interesting. There was a machine that prepared hard boiled eggs. Ray seemed to be the only one that could get it right. John had 1/2 an egg by the time he finished peeling it, Diane could drink hers, and mine was just passable. We did however manage to fill our tummies with all the remaining great offerings. After gassing up in the next town, at about $7.00 per gallon, we headed off towards Chamonix, France. The roadway Is very mountainous, and has many tunnels cut through the mountains, with amazing views along the way. Chamonix is quite beautiful, with snow capped mountains, huge glaciers on one side, and Rocky peaks on the other. Para gliding is very popular here, and Ray tried to book a tandem flight, but unfortunately they were booked up for days. Bummer! After walking through the village, we headed out to Martigny, Switzerland. Along the way, we stopped at the high point of this pass, Champex, and met a young man, a computer programmer from Oakland, CA, who was hiking from Chamonix to Mont Blanc, a hike of 3 weeks. He was camping out along the way, and everything he had fit into a small back pack. I won't describe how ripe he was. Martigny is located at the bottom of a long, steep, switchback road. Diane had to be pulled off the floor when we arrived at the bottom.

After a nice lunch of expensive pizza, we headed out for our final destination, Montreaux, Switzerland. This stretch of road was quite docile. Our hotel was located right on Lake Geneva, and is quite nice. After a brief nap, we headed out for a walk along the lakefront promenade. Sunday is the day when all the local families are out walking, and it was very interesting to people watch. We learned quickly that Switzerland is quite expensive. Oh well, a little less for the kids. A hamburger with fries was $30. US.

After a great meal, watching the sunset over Lake Geneva, we headed back to the
hotel for the night.



Bonsoir


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement






17th September 2018

More awesome pics. One more beautiful than the last. What a colorful adventure you all are having???look forward to the next blog. Makes my day. Miss you all. ???
17th September 2018

Great stuff! Thanks!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb