Picnic in the Clouds


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Mürren
October 28th 2006
Published: December 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed up into the mountains from Interlaken to Murren. The hostess at the Rugenpark told us about Murren last year but we didn't have time to make it there on that trip. Murren is a mile high village of 300 people and is situated basically on the edge of a massive cliff that looks like Half Dome in Yosemite. You must take 2 trains, a bus, and 2 cable car/trams to get there from Interlaken. It is absolutely spectacular (and a bit vertigo-inducing) to look down into the valley and then up at the peaks of Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau! We stayed at a cozy bed and breakfast in town called Chalet Fontana.

We were fortunate to have clear skies when we arrived, so we headed straight up to Shilthorn at 9700 feet. The views from there are fantastic - looking across to Jungfrau we could just make out the observatory we visited last year. We brought a picnic lunch and dined al fresco. The James Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was filmed at Shilthorn in 1968 just before it opened to the public.

Watching the alpenglow of the sunset on the mountains over Murren has got to be one of the highlights of the entire trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Jungfrau StationJungfrau Station
Jungfrau Station

Looking across to the dome of Jungfrau (where last year's Christmas card photo was taken)...


Tot: 0.379s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 36; qc: 152; dbt: 0.147s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb