Skydiving in Swiss Alps


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Lauterbrunnen
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Travelled up to Switzerand from Nice on Thursday. Went past Bono's house an island on the French Riviera. We stopped just past that to go to a perfume factory, which was a bit unexpected but educational al the same. Went bac into Italy then up from Genoa and past Milan. Its amazing how each new country the scnery changes. This time from nice italian farms to as far as the eye could see mountains. Went through Europes largest tunnel, 17km and made it to Lauterbrunnen in the main valley of the Jungfrau region. Got there about 6.30pm an compared to very hot weather i had been recieving it was a bit of a shock to exit the bus, pretty cold for singlet an shorts. The campsite has a great view up to the ranges and every time your on your way to the toilet block a massive waterfall greets you. Rooming with Suzie an Amanda, the 2 who are going skydiving with me tommorrow!

On friday woke up to a good day, all be it a little bit nervous. Got the bus down to Interlaken, then another out to the drop zone/air strip. There were about 10 people that worked their that i could mae out. There was us 3 plus 2 brittish an 2 US guys as well in our group. So got the nice slinky 1 peice suit on an practised what position to do in the air. I had Dave as my strap on buddy, British guy who spent a year in Brissy doing drops around Ipswich. Mike was my camera guy, Aussie from Mackayy so felt quite commowealth. Got all strapped up while i had a bit of an interview. How funny is this, had a Hooters sticker on the back of my harness. Had to wait 15min while the 1st 4 went up. You could see the plane pass over an all the bodies falling out. Was good to see how it all happened before i went. Then it was time. Walked over to the plane an climbed in. Was pretty tight in there, 3 tandems, 2 camera guys an a girl with an instructer doing her first solo jump. I was sidesaddled on the seat with my instructer behind, camera guy in front an facing 2 others, at least i wasnt going to be the first out. The view was amazing from up that high, just floating on the mountains. You could see interlaken an all the snowcapped mountains around, not many clouds about either. I guess the guys just like to freak you out, my shoulder straps were laying half way up my arm!

It was then time to open the door. Suzie was sitting on the ground so she was first out, just seeing that was a bit sureel, just hopping off the plane, it was a real jump too. Next was the girl with her instructer, she looked like she was going to pass out. Then me. Made it out to the side of the plane, just dangling really while Mike was on the wing. You dont really need to do anything. Cant realy remember the first part, they say thats normal, scenery overload or something. Then Dave tapped me on the shoulder an i could put my hands out. Cant describe it, out of this world, tummy didnt really drop. Just looking parrallel with the mountains, it feels like your not dropping at all, just getting a whole lot of air gushing up, really dry mouth. Felt like a long time too. Dropped from 13oooft down to 4-5oooft, 40 sec. I think Dave didnt tap me but i was sucked up into the air with the parachute. Could admire the view then. Did lots of twists that pull a few g's.

Landing was quick, went straight down then glided along the ground on my ass, graceful until the chute landed on us. Was so pumped up an readdy to do it again.

Headed back into town an had a traditional Rusti, smashed potato like thick pizza with ham an cheese. Picked up the DVD an watched that. Good to see Amandas too. I look so nervous up in the plane. Back to Lauterbrunnen an were all so tired it was into bed. Had a bit of an adrenilin headache i think.

Next day got the cable car an train to Murren, then a cable car to Shilthorn, 3000m up. This is where the Bond film, For her Majesties Service was filmed. Absolutly glorious views of the mountains. The Eiger, Monch an Jungfrau an range all looked like ice magic with their snow tops. It was a cear day so the 360 degree view around was amazing. Could even see a bit of Mont Blanc, in France! You can climb to the top, but at the beginning of the decent, there is a sign saying, no heels? (sorry Tara!) Fun photo. Went bac down to Murren an decided to Hike the rest back. From Murren to Gimmelwald, i walked on paths that fairytales are made of. Cows with their tinkling bells, paths lined with rock walls an pretty wild flowers. Im glad i went downhill thats for sure. From Gimmelwald walked right down steep valley an followed the river back to Lauterbrunnen. This name means valley of the waterfalls, an i think i passed all 60+ of them, an their origins. About 20min away from campsite, herd this whoosh above me. A base jumper must have just jumped. It only took him about 30 sec for him to be on the ground. He was all in black. Met a local, an she says this an the other side of the valley is where they jump from.

Today on my way to Lucern on a train, the views just keep rolling on.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb