Day at Jungfraujoch - 11,700 ft


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Kleine Scheidegg
July 15th 2018
Saved: July 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I would rate yesterday’s trip up to the Jungfraujoch as 10 WOWs. It is the highest rail station in Europe at 11,333 ft. The journey is amazing in itself. From Murren we took the narrow gauge train to Grutschalp transferred to cable car that took us down to Lauterbrunnen where we transferred to the cog wheel train to Kleine Scheidegg and finally transferred to another cog wheel train. The final few miles are through the mountain. An engineering marvel from the late 1800s. The views on the way up are just fantatastic as you will see, but it didn’t prepare us for the views from the top. When you exit the train from the tunnel and take the elevator to the observation platform at 11,700 ft you are rewarded with a 360 degree view I have never seen or imagined. According to the locals you can see all the way to Italy. A view of Europe’s longest glacier Aletschat at 11 miles long is at your feet. The observation platform is between the Jungfrau and Monk peaks, which are visible from our apartment balcony. You will see the views in the pictures.

One added note is we met a Salt Lake celebrating (sort of) here in Murren the other night, KSL’s morning weather man or should I say meteorologist Grant Weyman. Vacationing here with his family. I did mention how St George gets cheated on the 5 day weather forecast so he promised to add a few seconds. He and his wife are both very nice people and we enjoyed meeting them.

That is it for now. Today is a walk down to the small village of Gimmelwald. Hasn’t changed in 100s of years since it was declared an avalanche area so no resorts could build in the area preserving there culture and tiny village. A good thing for us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom




Comments only available on published blogs

15th July 2018

Snow IS Nice !
Lovely to see snow and ice, some great photos. Hard at this time in St. George to even imagine wearing gloves and heavy coats ! You guys stay safe. Leel. PS When back you must explain to me what a cog wheel track is all about.
16th July 2018

Cold at 11,000 ft
It was cold on top. A cog wheel is used on trains for steep grades. I will show you when I get home.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb