Backpacking Europe 2006 - Interlaken


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
June 17th 2006
Published: March 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Paragliding the Swiss 18 secs
Day 11 & 12

Arrived: Interlaken, Switzerland

Accommodation: Balmer's Herberge
• first impression = cute, informative, convenient, great down- to- earth people
• room type = 6 person room
• shower = shared in hallway
• tip = use the hostel's staff and resources for activities

Gone.. Go Trippin'

From Florence, we trained to Interlaken with a stop in Milan; just enough time to get off and grab lunch. There's something about train station food that we just loved. Eating on the go have never been so tasty. Interlaken is picturesque and beautiful. Interlaken is the place for outdoor activities. If you're up for skydiving, white water rafting, paragliding or any other outdoor activities, this is the place to do it.
Balmer's is centrally located and within walking distance to everything. We arrived and was able to settle in before heading out for a quick bite. We ask the front desk for suggestions and they told us about this little sandwich shop nearby. It was delicious!
The next morning, we headed out to paragliding. One of the greatest experiences of our lives. When do you get to say "I went paragliding in Switzerland"?! The view was like out of a fantasy dreamland. Picture perfect.
We had traditional fondue style dinner at Schuh-- overrated and overpriced. Nevertheless, it was good. We would suggest asking around to find out where you can get the best deal for a fondue style dining.

Do's & Don'ts

DO consider your next destination to be near Interlaken for convenience; perhaps Milan. It's hard to get in and out of Interlaken. From Italy, you'll have to go through Milan anyways so save Milan for the trip back from Interlaken. We decided to go to Nice and it took us over 14 hrs, practically all day, with 2 transfers and a 3 hour layover. Not worth it. Another option would be flying.

DONT let the price of activities stop you from having one of the greatest experiences of your life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb