Grindelwald: AB vs Lions and Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Grindelwald
July 8th 2017
Published: July 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We found we could live stream the All Blacks and Lions game on the very small computer. We set it up on the floor and all sat on the bed in the cheap seats to watch the match. It was another 32 degree day so it was a fairly warm game for us. The game was a little nail biting with both teams neck and neck and unfortunately all the Lions points coming from penalty goals. The final result was a draw with one game each and a drawn last one. The ABs were certainly given a hard competition especially since there were so many Lions supporters in NZ. The great internet shows that you don't have to be home to keep up with things. I listen to Radio NZ or NewstalkZB at night and get all the daily docos at home. We are also able to watch the Tour de France which is happening right now.

Having packed a picnic lunch we walked down to the Grund station and got gondolas up to Mannlichen. Linds, Deken and I were lucky enough to see 5 marmots from our gondola. It is a fabulous ride up over paddocks, tree tops and
Family picture at MannlichenFamily picture at MannlichenFamily picture at Mannlichen

Linds, Deken, Brendan, Tracey and Mila on the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg Trail
pastures with cows grazing (with bells of course). Up the top there have been many changes with a Royal Walk being added to the highest peak. A magnificent huge cow has been constructed with a slide inside for kids. Deken and Mila had fun playing bowls with some skittles and there have been some wooden carved models added around the landscape.

We then walked the trail to Kleine Scheidegg where Mila picked a miriad of wild flowers for a posey. One kill-joy American woman told them off for picking wild flowers saying if everyone did that there wouldn't be any flowers. Rubbish. They were everywhere and cows surely eat them too! It was a lovely walk with clear mountain views and glaciers sparkling. We've walked the path many times but it never fails to impress.

We then got the train down to Grindelwald and picked up some groceries for dinner. We just made it home in time on the bus before a huge thunderstorm came in. Lightning struck and thunder rolled all around the mountains and rain poured down. It was a dramatic sight to sit out on the balcony and watch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



9th July 2017

I love the family photo with the posy of wildflowers, it is really lovely.

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0793s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb