Grindelwald - Mannlichen/Kleine Scheidegg/Grindelwald


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Grindelwald
July 1st 2013
Published: July 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Us along the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg pathUs along the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg pathUs along the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg path

This track is popular but always worth doing regardless of the numbers using it
Today looked perfect. Sunny, cloudless, calm and not too cool. Not that warm either but it did improved as the day went on. Since it was an "out of the bag" day, Karilyn and Neil decided to go on the Jungfraujoch trip. We've been twice before so we opted for a hike.

We all got the cable car up to Mannlichen (one of the longest in the world) over meadows, tree tops, high altitude meadows then rock and grass. At the top was a most unbelievable panorama in every direction. We swung around from Pre Alps to the mid Alps of Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau and further around to the the Schilthorn and eventually to Interlaken and Switzerland to the north. Just a most stunning view with gleaming white snow and blue skies.

We walked from Mannlichen across to Kleine Scheidegg with grand views of the mountains as we went. There was still a little snow about. This walk takes an hour. We all then had some bratwurst, bread and mustard for a snack instead of lunch. A snack? Well, it was irresistible. So a much later lunch to be had.

We then split while Karilyn and Neil
Flowers everywhereFlowers everywhereFlowers everywhere

This time of the year is amazing for wild flowers.
headed off on the Jungfraujoch train up to the top of the Jungfrau while we headed off downhill for a slow hike across the hills below the Pass. We walked through ski areas and forest and past high altitude farms, rustic buildings, wood piles and eventually to pastures with cows about midway up. This took us to the Mittelstation of the cable car and from hereon down it was steep. It was fine for a while but then the steepness and old useless shock absorbers kicked in but by this time we were committed to the whole way down. Unfortunately we opted for the road with it's less steep grade on the last leg and it was much longer. By the time we got back to the car we had sore and hot feet and damned glad to be back at the car. It had been a most excellent hike despite the steep and continuous downhill run.

Back at the house it was a cup of tea and feet up while we waited for the Froudies who duly arrived back after 6pm. They had had a perfect day at the top and we a good one further down.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Goat FamilyThe Goat Family
The Goat Family

This family of goats were trotting up the road while we were walking down.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb