Blog 6 Wednesday May 27


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Engelberg
May 27th 2009
Published: May 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was our free day and two other people and I decided to do a little shopping and do a little hiking. We decided to take an alternate route other than the ones on the map. We decided to go down the path by the river and that was the first time we were able to experience nature other than cows and birds. We saw snails and slugs, it wasn’t much but it was something different. Along our hike we came to a dead end and crossed over a bridge to the far side of Engelberg were for the first time we saw houses other than 3 stories’, which are common in this area. The first story is typically a restaurant or store and the upper levels are living. The houses we saw how every were actually trailer house which was very surprising. As we continued our walk we decided to try a restaurant that was out of the way of Engelberg, It was called Rosti- Haus Eienwaldli. We were a little afraid because we weren’t sure if the people there spoke any English but we were in luck. When we walked in we were surprised to see a dog and cat just sitting around the tables while people were eating. This was a shock to us because back in the states this would not be allowed at all, it would be breaking so many health codes. Once we sat down and started ordering the menu was pretty much all in German and so we just decided to wing it and get the special for the day which was chicken and fries for $19. When we told the server that this is what we wanted she asked very casually salad or soup and I told her salad, along with the other guys. We didn’t find out till the end of the meal that salads were not included. When we got our meals Chris and I both ended up having wings and fries and Nat got pork chops. We went to this place to try and get something Swiss and ended up getting something we could have got from back home. When we got our bill it ended up being $100 for the three of us. We were shocked and started looking at the bill, water 4.60 a piece, Salad’s $8.50, and our wings $19, and the pork chops were 23.00. We couldn’t believe that we had spent basically $100 for wings and pork chops, but you live and you learn. Once we were done eating we hiked back to the hotel and took a nap. After our nap we got ready to go out to eat with the whole group and I could honestly say it was the best meal I have had to far, I had salad with chicken and fruit and it was amazing. I am thinking I should just move to Switzerland just for there salads. Every where we have gone has had amazing salads but I defiantly think this one was the best yet.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb