Day 11: The Glacier Express


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-East » St. Moritz
December 29th 2012
Published: December 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We started off our day with a “buffet” breakfast that Sybil convinced us to purchase last night in our tired and weakened state. For a mere 15 francs, we will lay out a feast for you. OK, I know English is not your first language Sybil, but yogurt plus bread plus scrambled eggs does not equal a “buffet”. However, the money has been spent…moving on to our day!

We took a train to Zermatt, 10 minutes away, where we had booked tickets on the Glacier Express, the “slowest moving express train in the world”, that takes you through spectacular mountain passes with unparalleled views. A few of the highlights include 291 bridges, 91 tunnels, and traveling over a viaduct! With a few minutes to spare, we peaked into a few shops and purchased some snacks from the grocery store for the 8 hour trip. Then we boarded the train, met our seatmates Stephen and Rebecca from Australia, and we were off. The tour book did not disappoint, as the trip was phenomenal. The weather was perfect, clear blue skies, and we were able to see quite a panorama of Swiss life and landscape. Check out the pics, although pictures out of a train window could never fully do it justice. We were served hot lunch on the train, which was an adventure in itself, as they seemed to choose the portion of the trip that was least conducive to serving food, with all sorts of bumps and tilts and jerks. At the end of the day, we arrived in St. Moritz, a glitzy little tourist town.

After a bus ride and a chilly walk with a wrong turn or two, we found our hotel, the Hotel Laudinella, which means “lark” in Romansch, one of the 4 Swiss languages. We had planned to go out for dinner somewhere, but with 6 restaurants in just our hotel, it seemed unnecessary to go out and find something. We picked the one with the buffet supper (and they understood the true meaning of buffet!) and indulged ourselves with extra dessert. After that, we had to figure out how we were going to get back to Zermatt, as we could not abandon the car with Sybil and Basil, and settled on train tickets back. Another day on the train tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Scenery on our train rideScenery on our train ride
Scenery on our train ride

A car train! I guess that's what we rode yesterday!
Scenery on our train rideScenery on our train ride
Scenery on our train ride

Cross country skiers
Scenery on our train rideScenery on our train ride
Scenery on our train ride

Downhill skiers at Andermatt
Scenery on our train rideScenery on our train ride
Scenery on our train ride

Our train crossing the viaduct


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb