Day 9 - Bormio, Italy to Arosa, Switzerland (The long way)


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-East » Arosa
September 22nd 2023
Published: September 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Woke up to more rain. The clouds lift and descend around the mountains, teasing us with scenery, then taking it away. We had a wonderful breakfast, again, more food than you can eat. This hotel is incredible. It’s been completely remodeled, and apparently was done by an artisan. Upon checking out, we found the room was only $43 Eu each and that feast we had for dinner was $25 EU each. Unbelievable.

I set the GPS for Arosa. There are numerous ways to get there from here, so I figured the GPS would send us the quickest way. Off we went, and within minutes we were climbing and switchbacking on the most scenic road I’ve ever seen. This was the heart of the Alps, and the mountains were incredible. Between the heavy rain and the clouds, the view was sporadic. After about 35 minutes, we came to a barricade saying the road was closed. There was another road to the right, so we started up that one. About 15 minutes later, we came to a cluster of hotels and shops. I asked a young lady if we could get to Switzerland this way. She said we could, but that we were on the Stevio pass road, and it was going to be very treacherous to continue. She suggested going back to Bormio, and starting from there. So we did. After 45 minutes or so, we came to a dam. Crossing the top of the dam we came to a road block, saying the road was closed.

Backtracking again, we found a road that would take us to Switzerland, but of course we had to go over about 6 mountains to get there. I’m so damn sick of driving in the rain with all the narrow roads and switchbacks.

Stopped at a no name town for some lunch and wouldn’t you know it, it was like a 5 star restaurant. Our lunch was very good, even though I had to spend the kid’s inheritance.

Finally got to Chur. Our plan was to leave the car there and take a train to Arosa. Supposed to be very scenic. Seeing as how it was raining cats and dogs, we decided to drive in. I know, glutton for punishment..More narrow roads and switchbacks. Arriving at our hotel, it all became worth it. The room is wonderful and the scenery is breathtaking.

Chilled for a bit, then went down for some wine before going out for dinner.

Back in the room now, 9:00pm there time, and finishing the blog. Tomorrow we head out to Strasbourg, France for 2 days. That’s going to feel good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement














22nd September 2023

In spite of the rain it is breathtaking. Your going to think the roads back here are expansive!!
23rd September 2023

Roads
You’re right, Ray said he probably won’t know how to drive on route 93! Snowing here today so leaving Arosa should be a treat!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb