Skiing the Swiss Alps


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
April 5th 2006
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We eventually got to Engelberg at 8pm and had a late dinner and post dinner drinks. The hotel room was massive and will no doubt be the the best hotel we stay in. Bit of a sleep in before deciding it was far too perfect a day to pass up the opportunity to ski the swiss alps. The sun was shining, so I hit the slopes with nothing but jeans, t-shirt and a snow jacket. After a prolonged start, the first run was at 11:30am, it was well worth the wait. Having not skiied for over a year, it was tough going at the start but by 2ish I was full of confidence and loving it. It was a Tuesday and toward the end of the ski season so there was no queing for lifts and the runs were long and awesome! Even though we spent much time waiting for Canadians (who would have thought an Aussie could ski faster than a Canadian!), we didn't mind because the views on the runs were spectacular. To end with you could ski right into town, although the snow was a little slushy and patchy - although still like a good day in the Victorian alps. Despite being warm and sunny, the coverage on the mountain is great, with house roofs sticking out from under the snow it was that deep. On the last run of the day I fell badly and broke my watch - quite appropriate in Switzerland as there were ample places for me to get a new one!

By 5pm we had called it a day and I quickly realised that with no sunscreen or goggles, my face was in serious pain and my eyes swelled up as though I had done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson very quickly, much to the horror of the rest of the tour group.

After a big day of skiing we had dinner at the hotel and played pool. The next day the weather was terrible and we cruised Lake Lucerne in a foggy mist before driving to Austria, including making a novely stop in Vaduz, the capital of Lichtenstein - just to say we had been to another country!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb