Gimmelwald


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Gimmelwald
June 19th 2006
Published: July 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

View from GimmelwaldView from GimmelwaldView from Gimmelwald

One of the shots we took while walking from Gimmelwald up to Murren
Well its about time that I (James) shared some of the blogging workload, however, please note that my editing skills are not quite as refined as Tania's.

After the thrilling hights of skydiving the day before, we decided a quiet walk into the swiss alps was in order.

We took a train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, then a bus to a small town (Cant remember the name), where we jumped on a cable car to the scenic (and very high up) town of Gimmelwald. Not so good for those with a fear of hights, or a fear of cable cars.

The scenery was incredible, with views of snow capped mountains, sheer cliff faces, and green meadows. Nestled within the area was the village, with houses probably unchanged for a few hundred years, and an atmosphere as far away from the touristy Interlaken as you can get.

We walked around the town for a while, before setting off 45 minutes up the mountain road up to the next town, Murren, an even quieter town. For those looking for a busy, action packed day out, well, this probably isn't going to be your cup of tea. But after the
Gimmelwald IIGimmelwald IIGimmelwald II

In search of something, perhaps our fitness?
hectic previous couple of weeks, it was refreshing to see a place that was relatively untouched and unvisited by tourists (Probably because it is so hard to get to!). A great place to quietly contemplate on our travels, and recharge for the road ahead.

While the upward journey took some time, the downward one was understandably quicker. Getting back to the Funnyfarm before dark.

The next part of our trip takes us to Venice via Lucern. After the expensive meals on offer in Switzerland, we are very much looking forward to a feast of Italian Cuisine!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Gimmelwald againGimmelwald again
Gimmelwald again

Cable car going up to Murren


Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb