Fall Break


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Gimmelwald
November 3rd 2006
Published: November 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Catholic church in BernCatholic church in BernCatholic church in Bern

A beautiful church with an amazingly colored apse and awesome side chapels in blue (Mary) and purple (blessed sacrament). I liked it a lot! All throughout the painting there are little triangles for the Trinity, the name of the church.
Well, our Fall Break came and went and I had a great time visiting Switzerland and Milan. I left Rome for a 9 hour train ride to the capital city of Bern, Switzerland and then moved on to Interlaken, and then I went up into the mountains for two days to a small town called Gimmelwald. It was a great time to relax and see some amazing nature. I ended up meeting up with a lot of English speakers along the way. I met some college guys from Minnesota in Bern, an Australian and a New Zealander in Interlaken, and a few more Aussies and some Canadians in Gimmelwald. Luckily most Swiss speak English too, so that was nice.

I did some hiking and reading up in the mountains and went with some of the other people in the hostel (Canadians) to a waterfall about an hour away from our hostel…though uphill the whole way. Back at the hostel the group of us spent some time in the hot tub outside, playing cards, and instead of Halloween candy settled for Swiss chocolate fondue! It was a pretty lazy trip all in all, though I did get a lot
BernBernBern

Typical quaint street in Bern. The city is a UNESCO World Heritige site and is a small but beautiful capital.
of reading done and even some journaling.

Getting back to Rome from Switzerland I stopped by Milan for a few hours and had a chance to walk around the city, see the Duomo (Cathedral), have some lasagna with Milanese sauce, and then catch my (late) flight back to Rome for class early the next morning!

This weekend I will be relaxing and maybe going to Florence on Monday to see some Benedictine friends and see much of the city that we weren’t able to on our class trip hopefully including the Uffizi and Academia. It is nice to not have Italian anymore though I fear I will lose what little I know quickly…but the extra 15 hours a week is nice!

Weather is getting colder which just makes me want to sing Christmas music, but I have to at least wait until after the non-Italian holiday Thanksgiving for that! Hope things are going well back in the states! I miss you all very much and look forward to head back in a little over a month. Crazy how time flies!


Ci Vediamo,

Jonathan



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

InterlakenInterlaken
Interlaken

A shot of the main park with the Catholic and Protostant churches at the end of the park at the foot of the Alps.
InterlakenInterlaken
Interlaken

Typical swiss shop in interlaken!
ValleyValley
Valley

A view of the vally town where I caught the gondola up the mountain. I love the little waterfall on the right...there are lots of those.
GondolaGondola
Gondola

Where i was going.
GondolaGondola
Gondola

A look down into the valley as I am suspended in the air...not a comfortable feeling for Jonathan.
GondolaGondola
Gondola

Veni vidi vici!...finally in Gimmelwald.
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

A look up from the town...up at the tree line is where most hikes begin.
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

Sprutz waterfall after a little hike up and into the mountain to get there.
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

Underneath the waterfall...one of the guys jumped underneath it! Sooo cold!
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

Gorge below the waterfall. We chucked 50lb. (not sure what that is in kg!) rocks over the edge and waited nearly 5 seconds to hear it make a booming crash far below! Don't worry, we didn't kill anyone...we think!
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

Jungfrau=Europe's tallest point at 4158m.
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

Not a bad view in the morning!
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

Mountains at sunset.
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

Chocolate fondue on halloween with the Canadians and one Alaskan.
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

The owner of the hostel, Walter, who speaks broken english came over to our card game and declared it 'happy minute...not happy hour' and gave us this firey shot for halloween!
GimmelwaldGimmelwald
Gimmelwald

View heading down with the destination station...it still looks like a long way!
MilanoMilano
Milano

Giant fortress/castle at the wall of Milan.
MilanoMilano
Milano

A really cool exhibit on one of the streets leading to the Duomo that had all these awesome images of Italy from above..thus the title of the exhibit "Italy from above."
MilanoMilano
Milano

The Duomo...one of the biggest churches in the world.
MilanoMilano
Milano

Inside the Duomo.
MilanoMilano
Milano

Lots of impressive stained glass.
MilanoMilano
Milano

Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II (The name of the leader who unified Italy.) A cool 19th century glass shopping area with a big museum.
MilanoMilano
Milano

La Scala: the oldest Opera House in the world (i think!)


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb