Suisse/Schweiz/Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Berne
June 13th 2008
Published: June 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Holland! Arriving at the Train Station 41 secs
MurtenMurtenMurten

The view from Carlas beautiful home
Friday the 13th, on the train from Paris in car number 13 departing at 13:00. Despite the bad omen, the train ride was beautiful and pleasent, riding through the French and Swiss countryside, up in 1st class (no class to the back).

Upon arriving we were greated by 300,000 dutch people dressed in orange, aka Holland/Netherlands. Unknowingly we arrived to a host city for the Eurocup and Holland came to represent for that nights game, Holland vs. France.

Marcs high school friend/exchange student met us in Berne and led us to the center of town where 4 huge screens, plus every store with its own outdoor tv and chairs, were set up for a public viewing to accomidate the 300000+ Dutch, French, and Swiss people, and the 2 Americans. We also met up with Carlas boyfriend, Roger, and had a blast that night. Holland won and everyone went crazy.

While staying with Carla in Murten (20min drive from Berne), we had a view of Murten lake and a quick walk to the old castle and town center. Jon stepped on two snails, fatally injuring them, and feels really bad. Carla also showed us around town, showing us the
A CastleA CastleA Castle

on the border of France and Suisse
beauty of her hometown.

Carlas sister had a smart car and we both got a test drive! We also took a bike ride around the farms and surrounding villages. Jon got the pleasure of riding Carlas moms brand new, very expensive new bike that had a motor in it to give a little boost when you pedelled - the 2008 Flyer.

We got the chance to meet up with her parents and her father took us on an executive tour around some places farther outside of town. We first went to Gruyères, a tiny castle-town built on top of a hill, established in the 11th century. There, there were traditional mountain swiss horn blowers (ricoooooolla).

After sightseeing we moved on south closer to the Alps (pre-Alps, appearantly). We drove up a windy road up a mountain and found at the summit only one restaurant, Restaurant Barghuus Gurli, and some cows. The view was magnificient, depite the incoming bad weather. On one side we could see villages stretching all the way back to Murten Lake and the lakes beyond it. On the otherside, huge mountains all the way into the distance. While at this restaurant, which was an
A village in SwitzlandA village in SwitzlandA village in Switzland

Just passing through....
old farm house from 35 years ago, we had traditional cheese fondue - a Swiss fav. Normally one would order 200 grams of cheese per person, and that should fill you up plenty, but we were all starving and got 250 grams each - and swam in it. So much cheese. We washed it down with water, white wine, tea, coffee, and - the local remedy for increased cheese digestion - Kirch (a type of cherry schnapps, and very strong). We then sweated cheese for three days. It was delicious.

On one day we went to Fribourg, a nearby city, where Carla teaches English at a high school, and where Roger lives. We were special guests for 4 English classes where we talked with students about our trip, American culture, and Obama. We also impressed the classes with our various language skills, inspiring the next generation of Swiss intellectuals to engage in exploration of their great world and to find connections among diversity. haha. Jon wrote and spoke in Chinese and Marc sang We are the World in sign language, as well as Vietnamese, and got some cheers.

During lunch break we explored Fribourg a bit. Charming and historic. We went to a chocolate factory to have coffee... and chocolate. (Nestle is also in this town). After class we walked the town, got more coffee, and Jon sported a pink umbrella. Pink is in. hehe.

The night before we left, we celebrated Carlas upcoming birthday by making Vietnamese food. Spring rolls and sauteed chicken and rice. yummy. Happy Birthday Carla!

We made a mess of the place, but we cleaned up on our way out and said goodbye to Switzerland. Holland was playing again that night, so we left the same way we came - in a sea of orange.




Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The GameThe Game
The Game

Holland vs France
HollandHolland
Holland

Holland Holland
HoolagansHoolagans
Hoolagans

Holland fans
Bike rideBike ride
Bike ride

innercity Murten, where devine meets bovine
View of MurtenView of Murten
View of Murten

A hilltop we conquered on our bikes
SilvercreekSilvercreek
Silvercreek

English classmates
GruyèresGruyères
Gruyères

pop: 1556
RiiiccoooooolaaaaRiiiccoooooolaaaa
Riiiccoooooolaaaa

Swiss horn blowers
FONDUEFONDUE
FONDUE

Im hungry, feed me
FONDUEFONDUE
FONDUE

Im hungry too. yum.


27th June 2008

:-)
Marc, you should write for a living. You're very good at it. I feel like I'm there. Great stories and photos!
27th June 2008

miss you
The pictures are terrific. You look like you are having so much fun.You both look great and so do your friends. They seem so nice. The videos were an unexpected surprise. I loved them. TASHI AND HENRY SAY HI. OF COURSE SO DOES DAD. LUV YOU, MOM

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb