Switzerland is Cool, Man!


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Basel
November 26th 2005
Published: November 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Train in the MistTrain in the MistTrain in the Mist

I took this photo of a train with a large amount of train tracks, entering the bahnhof (train station) in basel, then worked on it in Photoshop to create my form of art. Waddya think?
It's been slowly and gracefully turning from autumn to winter. Since we've lived in California so long, we were not really used to the cold weather. Now it's 0 degrees Centigrade (32 Fahrenheit), and really feels like winter. We are living in a small, cozy, comfortable apartment in the center of downtown Basel. We step outside of our building into the midst of shoppers, restaurants, cafes, bookstores, antique shops, bookstores. Now they are also putting up the Christmas lights, and the first snow fell (about 2 cm).

In fact, next door to our residence is an English bookstore, and I will be hosting a trivia cafe event there on December 7. If you are available, drop in! Here is a web address so you can see the details.

Evi and I are spending our time visiting the family, seeing the sights, walking at least 2-3 miles every day, going to a fantastic health club, reading, and making plans for future trips.

On December 14 we will fly to Barcelona for a few days. This is a city I've never seen, so will look forward to seeing it. THen in January we will fly to South Africa where
Amusement RideAmusement RideAmusement Ride

There was an autumn carnival in downtown Basel. Here is one of the rides that I would never step foot on.
we will stay for about 5 weeks. We are currently looking over the prospects of a 3-week tour of the country, so we can see the sights that we wouldn't find/know about ourselves.

So here are some photos. Hello to everybody! We look forward to hearing from you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Another Dizzying RideAnother Dizzying Ride
Another Dizzying Ride

This ride was set up in a downtown square, just beside homes, and next to the Munster, the huge cathedral in Basel.
Cakes and CookiesCakes and Cookies
Cakes and Cookies

Women in uniform sell delicious sweets in an outdoor booth.
View from our apartmentView from our apartment
View from our apartment

We are located in the old part of Basel. Some of the homes date from the 13th century. This is the view of an old courtyard from our balcomy.
X-mas tree in courtyard of city hallX-mas tree in courtyard of city hall
X-mas tree in courtyard of city hall

The Basel Rathaus, city hall, has a Christmas tree in the courtyard. In Switzerland there is no separation of church and state. Christian holidays are celebrated nationally, in schools, and government. If you are not Christian, too bad.
Best selling  books in BaselBest selling  books in Basel
Best selling books in Basel

In German, these books are among the best sellers. Local people here know more about American politics than Americans know about any other country.
Short Street NamesShort Street Names
Short Street Names

German street names make good use of the alphabet. Many points in Scrabble.


26th November 2005

train in the mist
is a wonderfull artwork ! Congratulation Can you pronounce the word Mässpäggli ? Or do you prefer to eat the Mässmogge ?
13th January 2006

Great photos
Thanks, going in June. Will look for the ladies with the cookies! yummmmm

Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 19; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb