Tour of Zurich


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich
October 24th 2005
Published: October 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Zurich Botanical Gardens

The three domes represent three non-native environments: tropical, sub-tropical and desert.

BiodomeBiodomeBiodome

Tropical inside, Fall outside.
Today we had a private tour of Zurich, courtesy of Bryan. First stop was the botanical garden. Strangely, they were featuring an exhibit on Native American plants. Go figure. Also stopped in at a great sandwich shop for lunch. J had a pizza/quiche hybrid that was quite good. The banana cream tartlette and cherry (pie?) were awesome too. Bahnhofstrasse is the main shopping street in town, lined with upscale shops. Fun to look in the windows but definitely expensive!

We climbed the tower of Grossmunster, a 16th century cathedral, for a view of the city. The sun was out so we were able to see the Alps in the distance and the suburbs along the lake.

Zurich has a fantastic public transit system. Trams run all over the city at very regular intervals. You always seem to either just catch or just miss the one you want. It's 7.60 Swiss francs for a day pass. You get a ticket but aren't required to scan it, show it to the driver, or otherwise validate it - it's all on the honor system! However no one cheats because if you are caught without a ticket it's 80 francs. (A franc is about equal to the Canadian dollar right now).

Well, it's about time for one of Bryan's world-famous casseroles!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 31; qc: 149; dbt: 0.136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb