Zurich, Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich » Zürich
February 18th 2014
Published: February 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived safe and sound after a turbulent flight from Sydney to Dubai which only gave us a smooth trip for about 4 of the 14 hours. Matt is happy, I know he told some of you that it was a success and no one was sick; however he forgot to mention I was actually physically sick and over the course of the flight took two failed sleeping pills and a handful of Xanax! Anyway it's all good and we arrived to our hotel feeling very familiar and safe.

On our first day in Zurich we wandered around the main city, going to the Old Town and a few places we went last time we were here. We spent a bit of time just wandering down alleys we hadn't seen before and walking alongside the lake, making friends with many dogs along the way. It's incredible the amount of dogs that are here and how dog friendly it is. You can buy specific dog train tickets and it's not uncommon to see dogs seated under a table in a restaurant.

On our way back out to our hotel in Triemli we decided to go up to Uetilburg which is a peak that overlooks Zurich and the alps. What a surprise! We had to climb a tower to get the highest view and it was a bit freaky for me as it had metal grates for stairs so you could see all the way through. Of course Matt was laughing at me the whole time. Mum, you would have had a heart attack! At the top it had 360 degree views of the city and the alps and was just amazing!

We were exhausted when we returned so we got a takeaway pizza. The pizza maker didn't speak english so started calling out ingredients for Matt to say yes or no to. In the end we ended up with olives, spinach, chicken and mushroom!

On our second day (today) we decided to go out of Zurich on a train to see more of Switzerland. We ended up deciding to go to a place called Rapperswil which was about 30 minutes out of the main station. It was a very good decision as it was on the lake, with a castle and old church from the 1200s sitting high above. On the other side was more alps. It was a most beautiful town to visit with panoramic views of the town, lake and snow. The funniest thing was that it had an Australia store... Selling xxx and vegemite and RM Williams clothing as well as didgeridoos. Was the strangest thing to see in the middle of a smallish town!

Tomorrow we leave for Langen Am Alrberg and then onto Lech.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb