Amazing day up Mount Rigi


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Vitznau
June 20th 2018
Published: June 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Fantastic. The weather has settled to a bright blue gorgeousness and we are in the best possible location to enjoy it.

The backdrop to campsite is the beautiful Mount Rigi and today is the day to get up and there enjoy its offerings.

No Kisbee needed as it was only a step down to the lakeside where we jumped aboard the red train on the cog railway to take us to the top of the mountain. Great timing, arrived at the station just a couple of minutes before the train, which runs hourly, departed and got prime window seats in a open sided carriage.

Stunning views of the lake and surroundings as we climbed higher and higher up Mount Rigi. Nearer the top there are three or four station stopping points. One is the changeover for the cable car which runs down to Wessel further round the lake. Others are at hotels and accommodations and where some people got off so they could walk to the top. Not a desirable option for us so we stayed put.

Nearer the top we passed through a big band of cloud and it went a bit chilly but then we were out into glorious blue sky sunshine.

The views are absolutely stunning. Can't find words to do them justice but the camera did its best, even though, it too, was somewhat overwhelmed by the break-taking pictures through the meadows of wild flowers. Not just flowers either but a surprising number of butterflies, hadn't expected them to be so high.

There are lake views all round. Sometimes these mysteriously disappeared into cloud below us and then just as suddenly reappeared. We had lunch and decided to take our time before going back down as it was so beautiful up there on the top of the mountain. We jumped aboard the 2pm taking care not to accidentally get on the other train, the blue one, which goes down on the other side.

We managed to get window seats again but on the other side to get the views we had missed on the way up. I was determined to have photos of alpine cows in my collection.

Back at ground level we stopped for cool drinks in a cafe overlooking the lake then climbed back up the, much steeper than it was when we came down it, hill to the campsite.

A swim in the lovely pool, absolutely necessary in this full summer heat and then Kisbee came out of the garage and took us back down to the lakeside where we had dinner. Our Anniversary meal, just a couple of days delayed.

Really pleased we've decided to spend our spare day here. The campsite is lovely. Not often we get views over a lake as we have here even though the campsite is filling up fast. Tomorrow we will scooter along the lake. Weather promises to stay fair now for ever.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb